Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

I am 20 years of age and I always seem to get mood swings on

Customer Question

I am 20 years of age and I always seem to get mood swings on a seriously regular basis. Most of the time I am fine but then all of a sudden I can be really sad or my mind starts creating things that I know aren't true but i can't stop them. Then sometimes I am really happy (not extreme) but i like being with people, but on the whole i tend to keep myself away from everyone else and not allow myself to get overly friendly. Now I have been looking for my symptoms online and bipolar disorder seems to fit my personality well, i'd like to know what the chances are of me having it and how i would go about getting it checked officially.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.

Based on what you describe, it does sound like you might meet criteria for a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder or Bipolar Disorder II (the latter being a form of bipolar in which manias are less frequent and less extreme, often called "hypomania" instead). To get a thorough evaluation and accurate diagnosis however, you will need to meet with a psychiatrist or psychologist in person and go through an assessment process that will include a discussion of your particular symptoms and history taking.