Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Im not sure what antidepressant is best for my to try Prozac

I'm not sure what antidepressant is best for my to try: Prozac or Celexa

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Kindly tell me what is your formal diagnosis for which you are taking these medications ?

Also let me know of the drugs that you are currently placed upon?

Regards...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

formal diagnosis is mild depression with anxiety.

Drugs currently taking: 2.5 mg Ativan/day (for 20 years I had always taken only 1 mg - 1.5 mg. ativan however the past year was put on Effexor and it did not agree with me and as a result of side effects required more ativan. I am trying to decrease this amount of ativan.

Estrogel: 0.06% transdermal gel of estradiol (2 pumps/day/at nite) Just started this as I was taking the pill form of Estrace .5 mg however too much interaction with this and antidepressant. Therefore, am switching to the gel to see if I can then add an antidepressant and have less side effects.

Thanks for the reply .

Well, after you switch over to Estrogel from estrace , then you may start on either Paxil CR ( paroxetine controlled release ) or Zoloft ( sertraline ), both of these being SSRI anti depressants , act very effectively as anti depressants as well as anti anxiety drugs . Since each of these two is a good anti anxiety drug , so there is no need to continue on 2.5 mg ativan (lorazepam ) , as i feel it is a bit higher dose of lorazepam to be given along with an anti depressant such as these mentioned above.

Just keep in mind to slowly reduce the dose of ativan to the previous dose of 1-1.5 mg / day , as abrupt stoppage may lead to distressing withdrawl symptoms of ativan.

So , i suggest you discuss the above mentioned two anti depresants with your doctor and get started on any one of them , let your doctor decide on the dose of the chosen one , and preferably one time daily dose of the chosen drug will be sufficient to start with and will suit you just fine for alleviating your symptoms.

I am mentioning below a link which will throw more light on the above mentioned two anti depressants.

http://www.rxlist.com/paxil-cr-drug.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sertraline

I wish you best of health. Take care..

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can you please confirm with me what amount will be charged to my Visa account?

Thanks.

It will be 15 $ .

Thanks ..

Regards...