Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Hello doctor- Is it possible for a 40 yr old male, who has

Hello doctor-

Is it possible for a 40 yr old male, who has no previous history of mental illness, is physically healthy and mentally sound...to, out of the blue, develop a multiple personality disorder that has only occured in his sleep? When this male was a young child and teenager, he was a sleepwalker. As a teenager, his bedroom door had to be deadbolted to prevent him from sleepwalking. This only occurred during very stressful times in his life. He had a rough childhood, but not sexually abused. Is it possible to make phone calls in this sleepwalking state and go into an alternate personality where he sounds like a 5 yr old? Would this be a result of repressed childhood trauma?

Thank you!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Kindly tell me if the person in question does all these acts such as sounding like 5 yr old and making phone calls during sleepwalking , or when he is fully awake , kindly clarify ?And since when ( duration ) is he doing this ?

Is he on any medications?If yes , kindly mention?

Regards..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The phone call where he sounded like a 5 yr old was during the night (about 2 a.m.) and I assume he is sleepwalking. he usually falls asleep around 11 pm. He currently lives in CA, I (his girlfriend) live in NY and his mother (whom he called), lives in MO. Therefore, no one has been around to actually eyewitness this. There were several phone calls to his mother only over the course of the last 3 days. During these last 3 days, he and I have been arguing pretty badly. I believe this may have triggered something. He is also a lifelong asthma sufferer and takes a low dosage of Theophylline every morning. He has been fighting a sore throat the past few days and has been taking Dayquill and sometimes Excedrin for a headache which he usually doesn't get any headaches. Other than that, he usually steers clear of taking OTC meds and prefers natural remedies or just allowing cold symptoms to pass through his system naturally.

I don't know of any sleepwalking incidents in his adulthood but I have heard him talk in his sleep, pretty clearly. Sometimes he is incoherent and other times very clear.

Well, relax , , your boyfriend is not suffering from any multiple personality disorder if that is what is bothering you, he is just having 2 parasomnias ( sleep disorders), namely , Somnambulism ( sleep walking) and Somniloquy ( sleep talking ), and these are no where as serious as MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER / SPLIT PERSONALITY DISORDER .

You see, such parasomnias can occur together , as you are well aware that your boyfriend used to sleep walk , and presently he does sleep talk , and such parasomnias are often triggered by Stressful conditions or situations, since you have been having a sort of tiff with him lately , this might have stressed him out and triggered the Sleep taliking incident where in he talked in a child's voice , which by your admission occurred at 2 am , when he is usually asleep . You see, to label a person as having muliple personality , first of all , the person should not be asleep , and should be fully conscious , and secondly , such kind of behaviour should have been consistent throughout the day and night , and should not be time bound as in occurring only at night , when the person is usually in sleep.

So, do not worry ,as it is a case of 2 parasomnias , which are not that serious , often people / their partners / family members avoid such sleep talking / sleep walking episodes for years together.

However , in order to confirm the diagnosis of Parasomnias , somnambulism and somniloquy , you may get a Polysomnography test, done on him , which is an investigation for detecting parasomnias. From this investigation , you will have a definitive evidence of his parasomnia condition, which is actually quite common.

As far as treatment is concerned for such parasomnias , i suggest you ask his family doctor to start him on a benzodiazepine such as Klonopin ( clonazepam ) , 0.5 mg , at night before sleep , ( make sure you shall discuss the dose with the doctor), and continue this drug for 4-6 weeks , and then slowly stop it completely.

I am mentioning below a few links which wil throw more light on parasomnias , sleep talking , sleep walking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasomnia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somniloquy

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1188854-overview

So, i suggest do not draw any hasty conclusions , it is just a case of parasomnias , which can be easliy confirmed by Polsomnography test , and can be treated by using a benzodiazepine , and more so , it is not that a serious condition , except the fact that it may annoy the family members once a while or the sleep walker may hurt himself .

I wish you and your boyfriend all the best. Do not worry , and take care...

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

PLease press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..