Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I have been dealing with deprresion for about 2 years now.

Customer Question

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX i'm 19 years old.I have been dealing with depression for about 2 years now, at firs It it was the depression where i was sad and cried alot, then when i went to college it turned into this numbness. Iv'e been seeing psycholgists and treating it .. AM ON 50 MG OF PROZAC, ALSO I'M TAKING CONCERTA FOR ADD. but i feel THE DEPRESSION MEDICINE is not working. I could describe my feeling as nothing. sometimtes i'm not able to feel happy or sad. Also, although i'm able to laugh sometimes and have fun there is always something in the back of my head that makes me know i still don't feel happy and normal. I don't have dersire for things like i used to and i feel like im just going through the motions of life and not enoying it. Has anyone came to you with the same problems? if so, what did you recomend to them or what do you reccomend to me ?

Also, self medication doesn't cross my mind either. It's to the point the alchol, sucide, drinking, smoking don't even seem like they would help. Especially because i have self medicated wth alcohol about a year ago and found no results. Now i don't even have those desires. Also, i am very intpo my religion (mormon) and i used god as my method of self help. It's getting to the point where im loosing all hope...can you please give some of your views on my information. Thank you so much!

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome
<br />
<br />Depression doesn't always present as feeling "down" all the time, there is something called dysthymia, which sounds like what you are describing. Your description of "just going through the motions" is exactly how some describe this chronic state of depression. You are able to get up and function but life doesn't seem "exciting" to you. I have many people who I've seen in this state and besides taking an antidepressant, they come to therapy. If you can get into therapy with a cognitive behavioral therapist, I believe you will start to feel better. Antidepressants alone don't work, you have to be an active participant in getting better. In therapy you will learn what to do with some of your feelings, how to make yourself feel better. You may have a hard time describing and understanding your depression but to those of us who are trained, we understand what you are feeling. I hope this information is helpful to you.
<br />Dr. Keane
<br />Please click accept when you are satisfied and leave feedback.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I haven't heard of dysthemia before, but what you describe to me is what i have been doing. Iv'e been seeing a therapist and takign medication. I feel like there is somehting in me that is missing, The part in me that helps me to know the pupose in life. Do you know of anything else that has been prescribed for people with this problem?

Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
Feeling that something is missing is heard in therapy often. It is what brings a lot of people to therapy.
If you are taking a medication that you feel isn't doing it's job, then maybe you should ask the doctor to change your antidepressant. Sometimes a different medication will work better. If you are having your medication prescribed by your regular doctor I would suggest you see a psychiatrist who is trained in psychopharmacology. They can switch, change or add to your current medication as needed. Each person reacts differently to medications so you want someone who is current in the field.
Also, in therapy it would be helpful to not just understand your purpose in life but learn how to change some of the " flatness, negative thoughts" to changing the way you think ....think about the first thoughts you have when you wake up each morning, are they positive or negative...that is one of the first things I ask a person with your symptoms when I see them. Most of the responses I get are .... negative thoughts...such as...oh I can't deal with today, or I look awful, or I'm so tired...etc.....I tell them to tape a sign to their mirrors with words like "I am going to have a great day" or anything that is positive....change your thoughts and you can change the way you feel..... for you, changing the thought that something is missing to naming the things that AREN'T missing in you....the good things that are part of every day can help you have a better start to your day (even if it takes time before you believe it will) .Medication has it's place but as I said earlier you are an important part of your own healing.
I hope this helps.
Dr. Keane
Please click accept and leave feedback when you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I wanted to know if you know of any good psychaitrists anyone who you would recommend ?
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
Where do you live? I may be able to direct you to someone depending on your location.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i live in Dayton, OHiO
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
erika, I am so sorry. I did not see your reply before today. I will check with my colleagues in the dayton area and get back to you asap.
Dr. Keane
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok that sounds like a good idea! thank you ! and have you foung any psychistrists in my area od dayton that you would reccomend?