Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  Specialist is sports medicine psychology. Certified in yoga, relaxation techniques and meditation.
5625079

My wife is currently taking Effexor and has recently started

Customer Question

My wife is currently taking Effexor and has recently started Alli to aid weight loss.
She has had quite a bit of diarhhea in the past couple of weeks and I was wondering if this would reduce the effect of the Effexor.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Greetings.

Diarrhea and infectious diarrhea are side effects of the Alli, so a stool culture can be contemplated by your GP to ascertain the cause of diarrhea.

The diarrhea if very vigorous can cause the affect the absorption of Effexor, otherwise this absorbs reasonably well, so may not be affected in less severe case.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So if this was reducing the absorption of the Effexor, what side effects could I expect to see?

Her symptoms would be returning for which effexor is given (depression or generalized anxiety disorder), so you may appreciate some of the symptoms rebounding.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would there be any physical side effects such as bad co-ordination, shaking, slurring of words? Also a general agitation?

The agitation can occur but incoordination, shaking/tremors, and slurring of speech are not explained on this basis. This would warrant a neurological examination (cerebellum, a part of brain is related to all of these).

Dr. Arun