Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

I have been diagnosed with bipolar 2. I have been recommended

I have been diagnosed with bipolar 2. I have been recommended to take Lamictal or seroquel. Which is best tolerated. What is current thinking on treatment.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com:

I work with many patients who have bipolar disorders, and the standard of care these days is a mood stabilizer plus cognitive-behavioral treatment.

My personal preference is Lamictal for the mood stabilizer. It has fewer side effects, there is no weight gain, and it is much better tolerated than Seroquel, unless you have trouble sleeping, in which case Seroquel may be better for you. The thing to watch for with Lamictal is a rash, in which case you must stop use immediately and call your doctor. However, this is a quite rare side effect.

Be sure to see a therapist who can monitor your mood swings and help you develop coping skills for the hypomania or anxiety which sometimes becomes a problem. Good luck to you.

I wish you well.