How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Norman M. Your Own Question
Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2568
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Norman M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 57 years old and was involved in a TBI many years ago.

Customer Question

I am 57 years old and was involved in a TBI many years ago. I have experianced depression since then and pain issues and seeked help but between frustrations navigating to find a doctor and time issues raising a family I put it aside. This last year I had the time and have met with quite a few doctors and a Psychologist for 12 sessions and has become a dead end street. In my studies it seems like there could be help but it seems as though the doctors don't want to touch me with a ten foot pole. I would like to try some anti depressants but was hoping for an assement maybe from a Psychiatrist with the consideration of the TBI.
I know this seems like it is not a question but any thoughts would help.
Is there any doctors that could help or should I stop searching?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 7 years ago.
Hello freebird, let's see if I can help.

First of all, lets have a look at TBI and depression.

A study (in Iowa) of 91 patients following TBI was carried out to see what relation there might be between TBI and later psychological problems. Roughly 33% of those studied suffered major depression in the first year after their injury, and a further study showed that TBI does lead to an increased risk of psychiatric problems in the the years following.

That said, we might reasonably conclude that your TBI was a triggering factor in your depression.

If you are unhappy with your doctor - change him. There is little point in continuing with a doctor you don't trust.

I don't know what treatment your psychologist deployed, so I am in no position to comment, but I wil say this - if you are in therpay for six months and nothing is happening, you've got the wrong therapist or the wrong therapy.

In my view, the best available treatment for depression is a combination of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and medication, and I strongly recommend you go down that route. I suspect that you need a completely fresh evaluation, probably a course of anti depressants and a few sessions of CBT.

Have a llok at - lots of good information on the illness itself, and finding and funding treatment.

I think your best course is to start afresh. Take a moment to Google "Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Washington" and "Depression Washington".

Select two or three of the people you find and contact them, and ask them what there approach is to the treatment of depression. Take notes as you talk to them, as it's so easy to lose track of detail later. Make sure you are comfortable with their recommendations, thier "way of being" and how they come over to you generally. It is so important that you feel comfortable with them!

Don't give up on it Freebird - you can get better

Best regards,

Related Mental Health Questions