Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

My 8 y/o son has a long history of ADHD and is taking adderal

My 8 y/o son has a long history of ADHD and is taking adderal and resperadol and has developed head shaking (constant) like a yes movement over and over. and lately he is starting to move his hands by bending his wrists over and over repetitive What med is causing this and should I be stopping this? i am worried about permanent damage. he is seeing a psychiatrist and has been on these meds for about a year.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Is it risperdal ( risperidone ) that your son has been taking along with adderall ?

Regards..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes risperdal

Thanks for the clarification.

Well, you see the present symptoms that your son is currently suffering from are most probably the Extrapyramidal side effects / symptoms ( EPS ) of Anti psychotics like Risperidone , and in such a circumstance , i will suggest you that you ask your son's psychiatrist to bring him off Risperidone , in fact it will be better that he comes off both the medications -- Rispredal AND Adderall ,although adderall has no role to play in this , but we need to keep your son drug free , and once the symptoms subside , then he should be re- started on ADDERALL first on a low dose and then gradually increasing to the desired dose , but refrain from starting on risperidone .

I am mentioning below a link which will throw more light on Extra pyramidal SYMPTOMS of Risperidone , an anti psychotic .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risperidone#Side_effects

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrapyramidal

SO, I SUGEGST THAT YOU CONSULT YOUR SON'S DOCTOR AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND ASK HIM TO BRING YOUR SON OFF FROM RISPERDAL and ADDERALL , AND WAIT TILL THE SYMTPOMS SUBSIDE , TO RESTART ADERALL. In such a situation of EPS , benzodiazepines such as Klonopin or ativan may help to improve symptoms , but the primary mode of treatment to stop all drugs and keep the patient drug free and wait for symptoms to subside, if this does not help only then benzodiazepiens or anti cholinergic drugs shall be used .

I wish your son rapid recovery to the best of health. God bless...

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Regards...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well we saw his psychiatrist today and he reduced his adderall xr from 25mg with a 10 mg adderall boost to....adderall xr 10mg and his respiradal from .05mg tid to .25mg bid for two weeks and will gradually discontinue respiradol.My son has had several different "tics" although we never put a name on it IE ..twisting of the hair,sniffing constantly,cough,pulling at his bottom(pants)he also said it is not uncommon for kids with ADHD to have a form of tourettes to have an underlying condition.By taking him off the medication he said we will see if it is a medication related or another underlying condition.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also none of this started until we went from respiradal "brand" to respiradone "generic" does that matter??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well, that is what i mentioned in the post that take your son off from all the medications , and let him be drug free , untill his symptoms subside , it will be known what is the cause of his symptoms. Yes , tourrette syndrome is seen sometimes in ADHD patients , but it is mostly characterised by verbal tics such as coprolalia ( involuntary uttering of obsceneties) and echolalia ( repeating words of the interviewer) , although such symptoms as tics can occur , but to me it seems more likely the Extrapyramidal symptoms of risperidone , anyways , bringing him off the drugs is the best option we have as of now, so carry on with it . And yes , switching to a generic brand may have a bearing on this , as a branded medications has the most appropriate percentage of the salt , that is used in the medicine , while a generic one , may have inadequate percentage of the salt , which if suppose is more than what is required to gve to the patient ,it may a precipitate side effects

I hope this helps.

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry