NGonzalez, Psychotherapist
Experience:  15 yrs of clinical experience, relationship issues, marriage & family therapy, eating disorders

I was diagnosed with bipolar type 2 disorder about 9 years

I was diagnosed with bipolar type 2 disorder about 9 years ago. I attended regular therapy and multiple drug treatments but after 2 years decided to deal with my disorder on my own. Though my symptoms were never fully under control, they were relatively so, until the last 2 years they have gotten progressively worse. I have delluded, violent,(both homicidal and suicidal), paranoid thoughts, feel as if I can barely trust my own mind, and I also feel my grasp on the world around me slipping. I don't know if this makes any sense, but I don't have any idea who to trust or where to go. Do I make an appoitment with a psychologist? psychiatrist? Please help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  NGonzalez replied 7 years ago.

I'm here to help. Thank you for your question. Yes, make an appointment with a psychiatrist and a psychologist as soon as possible. You need the psychiatrist for medicine and a psychologist or counselor for therapy. Is there any way you can return to your previous provider?

As you already know, bipolar disorder is a serious disorder but it is manageable with regular and consistent medicine and psychotherapy. When you call to schedule an appointment with both providers, be sure to tell them what you have included in this message. If you feel you cannot wait for an appointment, go to your nearest emergency room or crisis center.

When bipolar symptoms are active it can feel like you cannot trust anyone. This is just another indication that you need support. Get support, you don't have to go through this alone. I wish you the best.

Best regards,