Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I feel confused , disoriented, lack of focus and uable to recptive

Customer Question

I feel confused , disoriented, lack of focus and uable to recptive to information coming to me. Sometimes i feel like im not there.. I also feel absent minded and unable to think at times.
What is happening and what should i do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Kindly answer a few questions .

1) Since when ( duration ) are you experiencing these symptoms of confusion , dis -orientation, impaired perception , etc ?

2) Are you sticking to the prescribed doses as prescribed by your doctor and are not self medicating by taking more dose than prescribed?

3) Did you have fall or injury to your head sometime back ?

4) Along with these symptoms that you have mentioned do you also feel brief epsiodes of black out or unconsciousness?

5) How is you Blood pressure and blood sugar level?

Kindly answer the queries against their numbers and i shall get back to you with an appropriate reply.

Regards...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1) Since when (DURATION) are you experiencing these symptoms of CONFUSION, dis -orientation, impaired perception, etc ?

This symptom has gradually increasing over a year ago. I have been taking fluexotine 20 for over a month now as precribed by my doctor. I later went to see a psychiatric Doctor as well who prescribed Budeprion XL and said i can take them together. I have felt horrible since last week when i started taken the Fluexotine 20 mil and
Budeprion XL togther. So i stopped for about two days now. bcos im scared of how i felt the day i took them both.

YES IAM.

3) Did you have fall or injury to your head sometime BACK?

NO I HAVE NEVER FAILED NOR HAVE ANY INJURY TO THE HEAD. BUT WHEN I WAS ABOUT 19 in West Africa, I felt so depressed cos my parents and no body supported the career part i chose then, so (17 YRS AGO) I HAD A STRANGE FEELING WHERE I WAS SO ANGRY AND FURIOUS, I EVEN THOUGHT I EVERYBODY IN MY FAMILY WAS DEAD, THAT I WAS TREATED BY TRADITIONAL/HERBAL MENTAL HEALTH DOCTOR. I TOOK SO MANY HERBS AND CONCOSIONS THAT GOT ME SOBER. up till now i have never been able to answer the question of what happened to me then. IT ONLY HAPPENED ONCE AND AFTER THEN I LIVED A NORMAL LIFE, did creative works, WENT TO COLLEGE AND DID VERY WELL. i later become a teacher of computer studies for 3 yrs. Came to the USA and did more creative works, worked in auto sales, went back to school to study finance and now have my own business.

4) Along with these symptoms that you have mentioned do you also feel brief episodes of black out or unconsciousness?

SOMETIMES I LOSE MY TRAIN OF THOUGHT IN MY STORY,
I AVOID SITUATIONS THAT WILL REQUIRE ME TO TELL A LONG STORY. and that makes my story dry.
I FEEL NOT PRESENT MOST OF THE TIME. (TRYING hard to be fully conscious and aware of my environment without constantly looking around)
I ALSO HAVE PROBLEM REMEBERING TIME AND DATES OF ANYTHING MORE THAN 3DAYS BACK. ( eg; i can tell a story but cannot tell u exact date or time)
SOMETIMES I CANT FEEL MY INTENSIONS (lack of purpose, drive and motivation)
AND MY ATTENSION DONT SEAM TO STAY STEADY ON A TASK OR INFORMATION.
WHEN I PICK UP A BOOK AND READ ONE OR TWO PAGES MY ATTENSION WILL GO BLANK AND I WILL BE JUST LOOKING STRAIGHT AT THE WORDS WITHOUT READING any meaning. (this one scares me) bcos b4 i used to connect with what I’m reading and even visualize the picture of what I’m reading and sometimes become a character in the text. But now I find it hard to see the picture of what is being said or read. It all just goes through my head, all sounds with no pictures.

5) How is your Blood pressure and blood sugar level?
SYS 123 / DIA 86/ PULSE 74 (TIME 9:59 AM PT)

Thanks for the reply .

Well from the answers you have given to my questions ,it suggests that you most probably are suffering from Adult Attention deficit disorder ( Adult ADD ) , as by your self admission you find it harder to concentrate on things such as reading, speaking for long duration as you loose your concentration in between , thus creating a void in your train of thought, and most importantly you were able to do all this well around 1 year back.But , i will also suggest that first of all you shall get a CT scan brain done and EEG ( electro encephalopgraphy ) done to rule out organic brain pathology and seizure disorder.

Well , adult ADD is quite common and medications are available for the same , but first you need to get your self evaluated by a psychiatrist for Adult ADD , which is to be done by carrying out a Mental status examination by the psychiatrist , on a one to one basis.

I am mentioning below , the treatment regime which you should discuss with your psychiatrist and get started on it .

1) Psychostimulant drugs for Adult ADD--The best and the most widely used psychostimulant drugs ( central nervous system stimulants ) are Adderall / addarrall XR( amphetamines, amphetamine salts ) and Ritalin / Concerta ( methylphenidate ).

sO, OUT OF THESE TWO ANY ONE CAN BE STARTED , BUT ,first your diagnosis of Adult ADD , needs to be established by the psychiatrist , which itself should follow 2 investigations such as CT scan brain and EEG .

If CT Scan brain or/ and EEG show organic brain pathology ,then nstead of consulting a psychiatrist you should consult a Neurologist . But if both CT scan and EEG are normal and rule out any organic cause , then , you should consult a psychiatrist and get your self evaluated for Adult ADD.

SO, I SUMARIZE THE STEPS THAT YOU NEED TO TAKE TO REACH THE CAUSE OF YOUR SYMPTOMS AND ACCORDINLY GET YOURSELF EVALUATED BY THE MOST SUITABLE SPECIALIST.

1) Get a CT scan brain and EEG done to rule out Organic brain disease and seizure.

2) If CT SCAN AND EEG show abnormality , then consult a Neurologist and get started on his treatment.

3) If CT scan and eeg are normal , then consult a psychiatrist and get your self evaluated for adult ADD , and get started on the medication mentioned above , after dicussing it with your psychiatrist..

I wish you all best of health. Take care.. God bless..

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Regards...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your response. I went to my primary doctor few weeks ago requesting to be sent for a scan. He told me that i dont need one that he thinks that i am just depressed and that i should take medication or just talk myself out of my symptoms.

How else can i get a scan . Do i need to be refered by a doctor or can i just walk in a request for it.?

Thanks

Did you tell your doctor about your present symptoms of confusion , disorientation , inattentive spells ? If knowing all this , if he still does not want to rule out organic patholgy of brain by referring you for a CT scan , then i have my doubts about his judgment of your present condition.

Anyways , if your doctor is not willing to get a scan done , then, what you can do is you can directly consult a psychiatrist who will not only evaluate you for Adult ADD , as well depression , by carrying out a detailed and thorough mental status examination , but will also refer you for CT SCAN BRAIN , on hearing about your present symptoms of confusion , disorientation, etc , as any psychiatrist would want to rule out organic brain pathology / disease first .

So, this way you will not only be able to get a CTscan referral , but also will get evaluated for Adult ADD / DEPRESSION, AND this will definitely put you on a right track of recovery , as by doing this you will have a definitve diagnosis of your condition.

I hope this helps .

Regards..