Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years

hi im an 18yr old girl and i hear voices in my head (well 1

Customer Question

hi im an 18yr old girl and i hear voices in my head (well 1 infact) but no1 believes me...they say its stress, i have tried to kill myself sooo many times (last yr alone i od 63 times, ive also set myself on fire, drank ecaliptus oil ect...) 2 psycs in the past have told me that i would end up killing myself and then gave up on me (im really concidering doin that atm) they say i have BPD. there is so much goin on in my life that my own councellors have told me that they cant believe that im still alive n its still seems to much and i dont know what to do any more, my family is no longer in my life always in fear of my life from others, im afraid that something bad is goin 2 happen if the volume, station,microwave set on anything that doesnt end in a 5 or 0 there is so manything interferring with my life.

i dont know what 2 do there any hope 4 me...what can i do 2 get through all this or should i just kill myself?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

I am glad you wrote.

DO NOT kill yourself over this. Hearing vioices in your head (even if it's just one) is a brain chemical issue- that's it. NOTHING ELSE, just a brain chemical issue -- and we know this to be a fact, because when we give people medication for it (antipsychotics) the voices GO AWAY. That is how we know somebody has a specific disorder - if the medication makes it go away.

All you need to do is go to a Psychiatrist and tell them you hear this voice. THey will ask you other questions, and then prescribe a new medication.

There is all the hope in the world that this medication will work. And I realize that the hardest part is going to be getting to a Psychiatrist - but do it - no matter what.

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Let me know... and let's keep in touch. I want to help you through this whole process. Okay?