Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I need to talk to someone about my anxiety. I have frequent

Customer Question

I need to talk to someone about my anxiety. I have frequent episodes where I worry about nothing at all. For a short while I was put on klonopin, and although it helped some, it didn't really do the trick. I would certainly go to my own Family doctor; however, my father is a physician and he isn't very supportive of my seeking treatment.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, it seems that you are suffering from Generalized Anxiety disorder ( GAD ) , which would have been better treated by now , if you had been started on 1 Anti depressant instead of klonopin , as anti depressants like Paxil ( paroxetine) or Prozac ( fluoxetine) or Zoloft (sertraline) or Effexor ( venlafaxine) are considered as the first line drugs for the treatment of GAD , as these anti depressants act well as anti anxiety drugs.

So, i suggest you discuss with your family doctor or your father, the use of any one of the mentioned anti depressants and get started on it and also let your doctor / father decide on the dose of the chosen drug .

I am sure within a few weeks of starting the chosen anti depressant , you will start feeling much better , but you need to continue on this drug for 3-4 months continuously to complete the full treatment and then you may stop it , before gradually tapering it.

I wish you best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then wil i be credited for my service.

Regards..