Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Hi my psychiatrist prescribed adderall for my depression, I

Hi my psychiatrist prescribed adderall for my depression, I am also taking 20 mg of paxil a day and 10mg of inderal. At night I take 2mg of xanex. it worked great for 4 month when he gave me the adderall. Now, suddenly I am feeling sick to my stomach during the day during the day????
Submitted: 5 years ago via Patientsville.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer! ad

Since how many days are you having this sick feeling in stomach?

What is the dose of adderall that you take in a day and what are the timings of intake of adderall ?

Regards...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dr Kaushik
I take, mostly every morning upon getting up 15 mg amphetamine and 10-mg at about 4:00 in the afternoon. Sometimes, like today I took only 10-mg in the morning at 8am and considering to take 5-mg
in the afternoon. I must admit the the amphetamine helped me tremendously, and still does, except for this awful nausea that I suddenly developed. I have been taking paxil now for 15 years, it was very helpful for about ten years, then stopped being helpful, that is when my psychiatrist whom I am with for all this years gave me the adderall - I was sooo happy, and now... What can I say... What do you think? Yes, it is in my family, beginning with my father, my brother my niece and me. We did try to change the paxil to cimbalta, but it didn't work. I am a writer and the amphetamine got me back into writing full time .
Waiting for your replay. Ilana
Hello , thanks for the reply and detailed input .

Well, i am sure Adderall must have worked great for you , after all it is a psychostimulant which is used to enhance concentration, memory , and as a mood brightener . But the problem here is that you have developed gastro intestinal side effects of adderall , and that is why you are suffering from nausea , so what we can do here is that slightly modify the dose of Adderall , by changing the adderall plain that you are taking now , two times a day with Adderall XR , that is extended release capsule in which the drug is released slowly in the system , resulting in two positive outcomes which are --1 ) working round the clock throughout the day , 2) only one single dose of adderall XR is required as opposed to two doses of adderall plain, and 3) Less side effects as compared with adderall plain , because of slow extended release .

So i sugegst you start yourself on ADDERALL XR , instead of adderall plain , you shall discuss the use and dose of adderall XR with your doctor , and this adderal XR is to be taken in morinng only as a single daily dose .

Meanwhile , you may start on domperidone , taken in morning before taking adderall XR AND BREAKFAST , for 3 days , this drug will take care of nausea , you shall stop it after 3 days.

I am mentioning below a link to Adderall , where you can see the gastro intestinal side effects that it causes.

http://www.rxlist.com/adderall-drug.htm( see side effects )

I wish you all the best.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards...
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dr. Kaushik,
My psychaiatrist is out of town and I will not be able to talk to him until the 21. However, your replay made sense to me, and I am going to try it, also the medication for nousea. I will let you know how it works, or don't wark. In the mintime thanks a lot
Ilana
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dr.Kaushik,
The medication you suggested domperiodone, is not available, according to my phrmasyst, in the us anymore. He suggested that I take Emetrol. Do you have a better idea???
Thank you.
Ilana
<p>Yes, emetrol can be taken for nausea , no issues there.</p><p> </p><p>Get well soon.Yes please return after you try the medication , as there is no dearth of alternatives, but i am sure this wil work for you.</p><p> </p><p>Regards..</p>
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry