Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

i know ocd is called the doubters disease plesae give me more

i know ocd is called the doubters disease plesae give me more info on the doubters disease        [email protected]
Submitted: 7 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, Obsessive Compulsive disorder ( OCD ) , is a type of Anxiety Disorder , which is characterised by persistent , repetitive , involuntary and uncomfortable to the patient , Intrusive thoughts / ideas / ruminations coming into the mind , which may lead to Compulive behaviours or Rituals as they call it , such as checking lock of the door lock over and over again despite knowing that the door is very well locked, washing hands many a times due to fear of contamination, etc . The hallmark feature of OCD , is that all these thoughts which are intrusive in nature are considered by the patient himself as irrelevant , unjustified , silly or trivial , and the patient tries to resist these thoughts , but the Thoughts / ideas / compulsive behaviour gets the better of him and he ends up peforming the act or thinking about the idea. And after the compuslive behaviour is over the patient gets relieved , and that is the reason why the person indulges in it , in the first place despite knowing that it is frivolous / trivial , and that is to get relief.

So, OCD is divided into Obsessions and Compulsions , which can occur individually as well as together in an OCD patient , so i am mentioning below features of both.

1)Recurrent and persistent thoughts, impulses, or images that are experienced as intrusive and that cause marked anxiety or distress.

2)The thoughts, impulses, or images are not simply excessive worries about real-life problems.

3)The person attempts to ignore or suppress such thoughts, impulses, or images, or to neutralize them with some other thought or action.

4)The person recognizes that the obsessional thoughts, impulses, or images are a product of his or her own mind, and are not based in reality.

1)Repetitive behaviors or mental acts that the person feels driven to perform in response to an obsession, or according to rules that must be applied rigidly.

2)The behaviors or mental acts are aimed at preventing or reducing distress or preventing some dreaded event or situation; however, these behaviors or mental acts are not actually connected to the issue, or they are excessive.

Diagnosis of OCD is to be carried out by a Psychiatrist or Clinical Psychologist , based on the Patients History of Clinical features ( signs and symptoms) and Mental status examination.

Treatment of OCD comprises of two modalities-- Drug therapy and 2) Psyhcotherapy ( counseling in lay terms). These two modalities can be used individually as well as in combination , i will suggest that the combination of the two therapies is the best treatment option for OCD.

1) Drug therapy--- The drugs of choice for treating OCD ARE-- SSRI anti depressants such as Paxil (paroxetine) or Zoloft ( sertraline ) or Prozac (fluoxetine) and tricyclic anti depresants ( TCAs) such as Clomipramine , or amoxapine or imipramine or amitryptiline.

Along with any 1 of the Anti depressant mentioned above , 1 Anti anxiety drug such as Klonopin (clonazepam ) or Buspar (buspirone) or Ativan (lorazepam) or Xanax (alprazolam), can be used.

2) Psychotherapy , which includes Cognitive behavioural therapy ( CBT) , WHICH IS CONSIDERED to be the best counseling therapy for OCCD ,and in combinaytion of drug therpay it can really improve the OCD symptoms, whihc are very stubborn to deal with.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.