Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
16724211

I have a son with mild cognitive impairments. His IQ a few

Customer Question

I have a son with mild cognitive impairments. His IQ a few years ago was in the low 7o's. He is now 13 years old and reading at 2-3 grade level for the past 2 years. Is it possible for him to have reached a plateau?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

An IQ in the low 70's is not mild cognitive impairment, it is a few points above mental retardation. This is most likely as much as he will progress.

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
would it be better to keep him in a classroom with mainstream (he is the only one with his issues in 8th grade) or send him to a lower functioning program that is self contained?
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

That depends on a few different things: does he have an IEP? If so, what are the recommendations?

Is he doing well in school? If not, is there a place where he will get all his social/emotional/academic needs met?

What do his current teachers suggest?

What does he want?

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, he does have an IEP. At first the school said he would be to high functioning for the lower functioning kids, but they are taking a closer look at the idea now. My son has no friends at his grade level where he is at now. So that is my concern.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Also in reply to what my son wants. He is pretty much a happy guy. I have noticed an increase in anxiety ( chews on clothes and nails, he mumbles more and eye contact has decreased) He would like to stay where he is at because he doesn't know what the other school would be like.
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like he should be in a school that works specifically with children with issues like his. I'd move him. He may not like the idea now, but it will be best for him in the long run.

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the advise, we had a meeting on Tuesday and decided to try the catigorical class room, which he has math and reading in and than mainstreamed till the beginning of June. We will re-evaluate at the June meeting.
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

EXCELLENT! Let me know how it goes and how else I can help along the way :-)

I am happy for all of you! I think he will do better - it may take some time for him to adjust - don't be surprised if he regresses for while, but then he will adjust.

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Nancy,

One more question. For the summer, what type of tutoring would you suggest? What method?

Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

If possible, I would skip the tutoring and send him to a camp that helps with social skills.

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do have him signed up for a special needs camp for 1 week.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, I keep asking you more questions, but I am trying to understand the whole process. I found Andy's old IQ records. When he was in kindergarten his IQ was 72, the following years he ran 64, than about 3 years ago at his last one he was 62. How can it be such a difference from 72 to 62? I know things get more difficult as he gets older, but when does it stabilize?
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

No problem - ask away!

When he was 5 he would have taken a different version of the IQ test than he did at his last one... that could account for the difference in scores- as they are different tests. Some experts in the field of testing discourage IQ tests being given multiple times as well - because the person has (1) seen it before and may become bored with it and (2) they say the subsequent scores on 1 version of the test are inaccurate. Just so you know that controversy exists.

Although his intellectual capacity may actually be changing, it will stabilize by the time he is 21.

21 is a good predictor of what he will be capable of for the rest of his life.

Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that if a multisensory approach is working for school - keep that the same for tutoring. Changing it may cause him to regress. Always go with what works ... keping change to a minimum.

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi I am back for another question. My son's latest IQ score just came back. It was 55. He went from 72, 64, 62 and now 55. How could he drop so much. Could it be he was in the program?
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

In part, it's the nature of his impairment. He needs help if he is to progress, but without the right instruction, he may remain in this range.

It may also be the tests he's taking and it may be the person administering the test.

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The test was the WISC-IV. He also had the peabody picture vocabulary test 4th edition. His score for that was:

raw 151

standard 82

percentile rank 12

age equivalency 9-11

Did this test show him at a higher function?

Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

It's about equal to the IQ test.

Are you working with a Neuropsychologist?

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, we are not working with a neuropsychologist. The tests were done by the school psychologist and speech teacher. Should we be seeing a neuropsychologist?
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

Yes, definetly.

Neuropsychologists are psychologists with highly specialized training in testing. You can call your State psychologist licensing board for referrals or see who advertises as being a neuropsychologist in your local yellow pages.

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

Okay! Keep me updated!

Nancy :-)