Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

My son who is 26 years old was always a rebellious child, difficult

My son who is 26 years old was always a rebellious child, difficult from age 3. had periods of hair pulling, leaving bald patches. He had nightmares every night and still has difficulty sleeping, and for the past 6 years has practically been nocturnal. Diagnosed by a psychologist at age 14 as being "perfectly normal". Four years ago was seen by a psychiatrist who offered firstly cipramil, then fluoxetine, half inderal and 12 sessions CBT. Still on same medication. he has caused many family problems for us, his brother left home because of his aggression, stealing money etc. do we throw him out of the house and tell him to get on managing his own life or do nothing? He has no friends, doesnt go out and mostly avoids contact with us. his father and I are feeling too much strain with him in the home. The health professionals refused to discuss his case since he is an adult so apart from depression we dont know what is really wrong - maybe he is just completely idle enjoying not having to work?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.

It really sounds like you and your family have been through a lot in trying to help your son and manage his disruptive behaviors. Based on what you've said about him, I'm wondering if he might have adult ADHD. When adults have ADHD they show many of the kinds of symptoms that you've described in your son- disrupted/odd sleep patterns, difficulty with authority, aggression (particularly during younger years), some depression/anxiety, problems with motivation, etc. I'm pasting a link below to a website that has more information on adult ADHD:

If, after reading some of this information, you agree that this might fit your son, I would suggest making an appointment with a psychologist for further assessment and diagnosis. Once a formal diagnosis is made, the psychologist can work with your son to develop a treatment plan- this usually includes some therapy as well as some medication.