Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years

i have been caught taking money from work and i have admitted

Customer Question

i have been caught taking money from work and i have admitted this aswell. i was in so much debt i am a single mum with 4 kids at the time. And just couldnt handle it. i am verry scared with what is going to happen to me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for writing.

What have they said? Did they have you arrested? Did they fire you?

Nancy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no they will get the letter today. My concerns are my mental state handling what is going to happen. I have 3 chidren of mine and a guardian for another. i dont know if i can live with the outcome of this. so i should know by this afternoon.
Expert:  Nancy replied 4 years ago.

Let me know as soon as you can. Do you have a laywer?

Nancy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no i dont know what they are going to do as yet. the boss has the letter and i just said to contact me.
Expert:  Nancy replied 4 years ago.

Here is the US we have free law centers where lawyers will consult with you. Do you have that in Australia?

If not, I can move this question over to the Law area of Just Answer - but until your company does something (fire you, have you arrested) I am not sure anyone can really do anything - or give you solid advice.

For now though, just go about doing what you normally do - do not be around money if at all possible. Don't give them any reason to suspect you.

If they fire you, ask if you can resign instead, with a written letter of recommendation to take with you. That way, you can jus present that to future employers (if, of course, it comes to this), I am just trying to prepare you...

Tell them that you were just desperate - that you had nover done this before and won't ever do it again and that you are sorry. Ask them if they can just allow you to resign with a letter of recommendation and you will just leave. DO NOT say anything like, "I'll leave quietly" - you don't want to give the impression you'd sue or make an issue of it.

If they have you arrested - just cooperate. Don't say anything - just do what is asked and don't make a scene - I don't know about in Australia, but here - we have the right to remain silent until we can speak with our attorney - so you may want to have an attorney lined up (here, if we can't afford one - a free one is appointed. DO they do that there too?)

Lastly, be prepared that right now they may be building a case against you - what you say, how youact and what you do NOW may come in to play - so be aboce reproach in all interactions and behaviors.

Keep me updated and let me know if you'd rather speak with an attorney here on JA.

OK?

Nancy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you very much. in the letter i did stress that i was desperate and had and never would do it again. it was just something i got caught up in like a adiction in some way it became. they have not contacted me i am on holidays at the moment and in the letter i said that i was not returning to work. so they may be waiting till monday when i was due back. i'll keep in touch i may need to speak to one of your attorney's.
Expert:  Nancy replied 4 years ago.

Ok

Keep me updated...

Nancy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no reply as yet. should i call them. or just wait for them.
Expert:  Nancy replied 4 years ago.

If the person you would call is someone who you know quite well - then call.

If you don't know the person very well - don't call. It will antagonize them.

Nancy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i got the letter today and in short story i have to have a meeting at the work place and if i want someone with me i can. and i have to prove that the money was the company or a reason good enough will pend my employement at that work place. so i haved called a solicitor and meeting with him next week. i am not a very strong person with confronting people if you know what i mean. i just dont know what to do...
Expert:  Nancy replied 4 years ago.

Sorry - I am not clear. you have to prove that the money was ... what?

And you may be able to keep your job if you come up with a good enough reason?

Is that right?

Nancy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it said that i have to attend a meeting at the work place and at the meeting prove that the money was used for the company or not. so in other words they will dismiss me cause i cant prove it. then they said in the letter that once i put my reason forward they will decide what action (if any) by the work place. so should i take a solicitor with me.
Expert:  Nancy replied 4 years ago.

Yes, absolutely -- be sure to meet with the solicitor first- explain the situation and ask him exactly what you need to say in the meeting.

Nancy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok then ill keep you in touch with what happens to me next. i still dont know if i can face them. thats the hardest part of all this.i dont even leave the house if i dont have to. just depressed
Expert:  Nancy replied 4 years ago.

It's understandable that you are feeling depressed - I suppose the only other way to proceed would just be to quit and find another job.

Legally, here in the US, all a former employer can say is if you worked there and give the dates of employment - is it the same there?

Are you in a job that is highly skilled - or could you get another job easily? For me, for instance, everybody knows everybody in my field - so if I got fired for stealing, every future employer would know before I left that day! Is your profession the same way? Or, could you find a new job easily without them knowing of what's happened at this job?

Nancy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i live in the same town as i work and there are only like max 700 people. not a big place thats what is going to be hard i know alot of people in my town. anyway not looking to good, i'll keep in touch
Expert:  Nancy replied 4 years ago.

Oh... I see. That's not good.

Let me know what happens......

Nancy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its has been over 24 hours since the board meeting and i still have not heard anything. it is freaking me out what do you think they are doing? i keep you in touch when i find out if i get the chance if they dont put me in jail.
Expert:  Nancy replied 4 years ago.
Okay - keep in touch.