Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Question about LexaproIm Male 36 in good health. I have

Question about Lexapro

I’m Male 36 in good health. I have recently been suffering from GAD and mild OCD.

I was started on Lexapro 5mg approximately 8 weeks ago.

First week I had increased anxiety but weeks 2 and 3 I felt much better and tremendous relief from my symptoms.

Week 4 I started to feel increased anxiety - my Dr. upped me to 10mg. He wanted to me to up to 20mg slowly over the next few weeks.

Weeks 5 and 6 I felt fine at 10mg. I am currently in my second week at 15 mg and I’m starting to feel increased anxiety, reminiscent of how I felt prior to taking Lexapro. I’m not sleeping well. I am hesitant to go up to 20mg as I’m afraid the anxiety will continue to increase at the higher dosage.

I can not get in to see my Dr. for another month. Is this pattern of increased anxiety typical while increasing the dosage in medication? Should I consider cutting back?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 years ago.
<p>Hi there,</p><p> </p><p>Welcome to Just answer !</p><p> </p><p>Well, since your anxiety is increasing , despite increasing dose of Lexapro , it suggests that Lexapro is not being as effective as one would like it to be , although you can get it's dose increased to 20 mg , but , i feel it will require an addition of 1 Anti anxiety drug such as Klonopin ( clonazepam) or Ativan ( lorazepam ) to control your symptoms of anxiety or a better option would be to start with either Clomipramine or amoxapine ( both are TCA anti dperessants ) or Paroxetine or Fluoxetine , intead of Lexapro ( escitalopram) , the reason being these anti deprsssants besides being very effective in GAD they are also treatment of choice in OCD , so two benifits can be yielded by using any one of these mentioned anti depressants , and to the chosen anti depressant , you add klonopin or ativan , so this combination of 1 anti depressant and 1 anti anxiety drug will be very effective for your GAD and OCD symptoms.</p><p> </p><p>So, i suggest you discuss the additions and the alternatives that i have menioned above with your doctor and get started on them , i am quite sure you will benefit from the mentioned drugs . As far as lexapro is concernd , i feel it will not be of much use even if you increase the dose to 20 mg , as probably your body system has developed resistance against the drug .</p><p> </p><p>I wish you best of health.</p><p> </p><p>I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.</p><p> </p><p>Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.</p><p> </p><p>Regards...</p>
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry