Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Are there any low risk medications to treat a child with ADHD

Are there any low risk medications to treat a child with ADHD who also suffers from "silent Seizures". She has never had a noticeable seizure, but shows the brain activity for them. To treat her, she is on Lamotrigine 25 mg - 1 1/2 tables twice a day. She is 6 years old, very bright, but is very figety and gets in trouble in school and gymnastics due to her inability to stay focused. I know seizure medication is important, but I don't want her to go through life getting in trouble for things that could be out of her control. Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

I can understand how hard it must be for a parent who has this wonderful , bright child ,with a great potential for doing amazing things in life, to see her getting distracted and her performance being hampered due to a condition of ADHD .

Well , the tried and tested and most widely used and FDA approved drugs for ADHD in kids are the Psychostimulants such as

1)Adderall / Adderall XR ( Amphetamines , amphetamine salts)

2) Ritalin ( methylphenidate ),

3) Concerta ( methylphenidate extended release ) ,

4) Focalin ( dextromethylphenidate ) ,

5) Daytona patches ( that is skin patches ) ,

6) Strattera (Atomoxetine).

Anyone of these mentioned drugs can be used effectively to treat your daughter's ADHD , and she will again have the same concentration and focus as earlier and her performance will improve .

But, i will recomend to start her on either adderall or ritalin , as they are the most effective of the lot . To get them prescribed you need to consult a child psychiatrist/ child psychologist who will also decide on the dose of the chosen psychostimulant and the time of intake.

I wish your daughter all the best. God bless her !

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The major issue here is what can be used with the anti seizure medication because some stimulants can enhance seizures. I am aware of the different kinds of meds, but it is if there is a combination between the seizure medication and ADHD med that is a low risk of causing additional seizures. Thanks.
Thanks for the clarification.

Well, actually all of these ADHD psychostimulants will either enhance the possibility of seizure or decrease the effectiveness of seizure medication , however lamotrigine that is being used for control of seizure may not have any interaction with these psychostimulants , but it is better to be safe, so i suggest you may use Dietary supplements which are used in ADHD , which do not cause seizures and neither react with seizure medications , one such dietary supplement is OMEGA 3 fatty acids .

I am mentioning a link below which will throw more light on Omega 3 fatty acids and their positive effects on brain health that is improving concentration and memory and focus .

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-3-000316.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid#Brain_health

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid#Dietary_sources

So, i suggest you consult the doctor who has been treating your daughter and discuss the use of Omega 3 fatty acids in her case for treating ADHD symptoms.I am quite sure the use of Omega 3 will help in improving her ADHD symptoms without causing any enhancement of seizure occurrence.

I hope this answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Regards...