Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

My three year old daughter is in a nursery school since the

My three year old daughter is in a nursery school since the beginning of this year. She took a while to participate in the school activities, but soon felt comfortable in the school, as she really likes her teacher. I work all day and we have an au pair that looks after her in the afternoon. We had the au apir since she was 12 months old and she adored her. Beginning of April this au pair left without any notice and I had to tell her that we will get a new au pair and that the old one was not coming back. She seemed okay with this and seems to like her new au pair, but her school teacher told me today, that since she has gone back after the school holidays, she sits in a corner all day at school, talks to nobody and does not participate in any activities. At home she seems normal and happy. She is a typical three old with tantrums that have increased in frequency of late.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.

I would consider taking your daugher to see a child psychologist for a few sessions. Losing someone close is very painful and confusing to little kids, particularly when they're so young that they don't have all the verbal skills to express their grief. Working with a child psychologist could help your daughter express and process her loss. My guess is that (unless your daughter has also experienced previous significant losses) this work would likely not take more than 3-4 sessions, but the psychologist you work with could probably give you a more accurate estimate after the first meeting.