Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

my mother has filled in a clinical outcomes in routine evaluations

Customer Question

my mother has filled in a clinical outcomes in routine evaluations restults questionaire which she allowed me to read her answers (depression & anxiety related). I have counted up her score and it is 103 which seems very high to me. I have some experience myself of these types of questionaires. She has her appointment at the hospital today to take in her forms & i would really like to know what is going to be made of that score and what treatment/advice she is likely to be given as i'm not sure if she'll be completely honest with me when she comes out.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.
Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, i can understand that you are eager to know the outcome of the meeting that your mother is going to have at the hospital , and what advice she will be given on the basis of the questionaire. Since you mention that her score in the questionaire for assessing depression and anxiety in the individual , is high , so it indicates towards the diagnosis of Depression with anxiety , but in order to confirm this diagnosis she needs to be evaluated by a Psychiatrist , in person and only then will she be started on any form of treatment .

Well, the possible treatment regime that she can be adviced will be as follows..

1) 1 Anti depressant drug such as Effexor XR or paxil or Prozac or Zoloft or Cymbalta or any other anti depressant will be started, but the above mentioned are the tried and tested ones with good efficacy .

2) 1 Anti anxiety drug such as Klonopin ( clonazepam) or Buspar (buspirone ) or Ativan ( lorazepam ) or xanax ( alprazolam ) can be added to the anti depresssant . So, any one of these mentioned shall be chosen to control her anxiety , and this anti anxiety drug also helps in inducing sleep at night , which usually gets disturbed in depression as well in anxiety.

3) If the depression is Major depressive disorder ( MDD) , also called as Clinical depression , then your mother can also be started on 1 Mood stabilizer such as lithium or valproate or divalproax along with the above 2 medications, but , most probably the above two mentioned medications will be prescribed for her depression and anxiety .

4) Along with drug therapy , as mentioned above , she may also be adviced to start on Psychotherapy ( counseling in lay terms ) , and the best psychotherapy for the treatment of depression as well as anxiety is Cognititve behavioural therapy ( CBT) .

So, above mentioned is the regime that is usually prescribed to those diagnosed with Depression and anxiety , there may be other drugs as well , which can be used other than those mentioned above , but the genre/ class of the drugs that is anti depressants or anti anxiety / mood stabilizer will remain the same.

I wish your mother all the best and hope everything works out well for her .

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards...