Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years

I am a 30 year old man born into the unification church moonies

Customer Question

I am a 30 year old man born into the unification church "moonies" and am mentally depressed and am experiencing substance abuse problems based on my inability to deal with the world. By world i mean the "churches" world or the real world. I believe it comes down to my upbringing in the "church" and I want to correct the direction my life is taking. What should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

I am glad you wrote!

To successfully treat your depression, see a Psychiatrist (not your regular MD, PCP etc), but a Board Certified Psychiatrist.

Once on the meds, your thoughts, feelings and behaviors will change - you will become more yourself than you ever have been before. The medications make your brain work properly. You won't regret it -- it will make all the difference.

After a few months, THEN make a decisions as to what else you want/need. Have you considered seeking counseling? Nothing to deep... but some support around making these new decisions, and changes in your life?

There are professionals that specialize in this sort of issue - you are not the first person to struggle with how you were raised and what the world demands - and there are people who work with current and ex-church members.

How else can I help?