Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

My wife Lynn has been on Klonopin for 6 years at 1.5mg per

My wife Lynn has been on Klonopin for 6 years at 1.5mg per day and Cymbalta for 3 years at 60 mg per day. Quit both cold turkey 3 weeks ago tomorrow. Horrible withdrawals. She's trying to hand in there as does not want these drugs in her system. I have read about tappering and wonder where we go from here? My thought is maybe be done with the Klonopin but get her back on Cymbalta at a low dose and tapper? Remember she already has three weeks under her belt of hell and does not want to waste that either. Please help, I can not stand to see her suffer this way.

Kent Girton
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hello Kent,

I am sorry to hear about your wife condition.

Klonopin should be taper by .25 mg every 3 days to reduce the chances of withdrawal effects.If a patient experience withdrawal,dosing may be need to be tapered very slowly may be over months.
Also sometimes it is necessary to differentiate between reemergence of symptoms from withdrawal also as both are somewhat similar in presentation sometimes.

Duloxetine (Cymbalta) should also be taper down to avoid withdrawal effects such as dizziness, nausea,headache , tingling sensations, irritability etc).
Usually patient tolerate 50% dose reduction for first 3 days and and next 50% reducion for another 3 days.

In case if withdrawal symptoms emerge during discontinuation, it is advisable to restart / raise the drug to stop these symptoms and then restart withdrawal much more slowly under the treating doctor guidance.

In my view, if she is still having withdrawal symptoms after 3 weeks, they need to be differentiated from reemergence of disease symptoms and you should consult her treating doctor before taking any step.