Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years

my step son is displaying the following behaviors cutting

Customer Question

my step son is displaying the following behaviors: cutting up things and a fascination with knives, cruel to animals and having BM's in his pants and wiping it up with socks, pants, or any other clothing and throwing it away. He is 14. His mother was MR
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for writing.

The symptoms you have described could be typical of a few childhood disorders, but the fact that his mother is MR requires that this child have an evaluation by a child Psychiatrist.

It will be impossible for anyone to diagnose this or give you good recommendations over the internet - he needs to be evaluated in person.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he has been evaluated and was dx with ADHD. I disagree cause he will sit in front of the TV for hours and never move. My son had ADHD and he never sat still and was constantly doing one thing or another. Never finishing anything. Joseph is opposite
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

When was he last evaluated?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
about 6 montha ago. I believe he has some chemical imbalance going on. When I take him to another eval. I need to know what Im looking for. I am in the health field and have some experience with mental health. I also believe that he is headed down the wrong road and that I need to get him help. What disorders are you thinking he might have?
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

Who evaluated him last time? A child Psychiatrist?

When you take a child for an evaluation you just simply tell the doctor his symptoms. You don't need to know what you're looking for -- as you aren't looking for it, the doctor is.

What do you do in the medical field?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for your time, but you have not answered my questions. I am a RN who deals with adult mental health
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

If you answer my questions I may be able to help.

What type of professional evaluated him last time and conclude he was ADHD? And, if you are an RN then you know that ADHD is the classification - what was his type?