Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years

Los of Memory

There used to be a time in my life when everything was clear, i was so in control of all my thoughts and actions, i spoke so correctly and never feard negatively . I felt real calm and made real connections with people. I had people come to me for advice and people like how i made them feel. Learning was so easy for me. I was able to write songs, articles paintings, and poems. I was able to focus and concentrate on task at hand until it is done. I read more books and gained a lot of insights.

I used to teach computer studies, and i would walk into the class with just a marker and i will deliver all my lectures for the day without looking into any book and i was known for my retaintive memory. My imaginations were very clear and vivid, but now i feel something is missing. I want to get back to where i used to be.
Here are some of my symptoms:

Social Anxiety

Anxiety with authority figures

Self Doubts

Temporary loss of identity

Unable to tell a complete story without losing track

Forgetfulness - keys, names, places, event, numbers, even my own facial ID

feeling volnerable

Los of clear imagination

Dificulty focusing on an issue or object for a long time ( like good 10 mins)

Difficulty retaining infomation read or heard

Problem in my range ( determing how close or far an object is or sound)

Unable to feel what others are going through

I sing but feel like im disconnected with my audience

Feelings dont feel deep enough and thinking is very shallow, this robs me of my negotiation positions at times

What is wrong with me? and what should i do?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

Hi sincere seeker,

I am glad you wrote.

You say you are Fluoxetine, so I am guessing someone thinks you have depression. Depression can cause some of these symptoms, but what you are describing could be more serious.

If you are not seeing a Psychiatrist, I'd suggest you do so as soon as you can.

And, if you are seeing a psychiatrist and he's the one who prescribed the Prozac, I'd now see a Neurologist for a neurological workup (they have you touch your fingers to your nose, do repetitive hand motions) -- but it tells them if there is a problem with your brain.

From the symptoms you've described, I would not waste any time. These are serious enough to warrant a full workup by first the Psychiatrist and then a Neurologist.

I hope this helps, but please feel free to write back with any questions.