Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
16724211

Hello, alright. My problems that Im really not feeling a

Customer Question

Hello, alright. My problem's that I'm really not feeling a thing at all. All emotions are gone, all feelings are gone. They slowly all faded away. There's no happiness, no being satisfied and there's no sorrow or sadness either. Just nothing. And I'm finding my way around that with pain. Because pain let's me feel at least something. In my head, where everything around me seems so unreal, like a strange dream, pain seems real. I want to get out of this, I want to know what's going on with me. Why I need pain, why I don't feel anything at all.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

Hi Lost,

I am really glad you wrote.

A few things that you said lead me to Depression. You said your feeling slowly faded away - that's what happend with some forms of depression. And you mentioned that basically, all that is left is pain - and that's exactly what depression is: pain.

Depression is a brain chemical issue that we don't have any control over - it's like having diabetes - there is nothing YOU can do to control it - it needs to be controlled with medication.

See a Psychiatrist (not your regular MD) for an evaluation (they ask you questions about sleep, eating, feelings etc), it lasts about an hour and at the end of that hour they tell you what your options are.

Medications are prescribed based on your specific symptoms... and this is their specialty, so because you are a first time antidepressant medication user, you will do well on the medication!

I hope this information helps, please feel free to write back at any time for follow up questions.

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay, so this may be a depression, but there's no way out apart from medication? I'm really not open towards anti-depressants or whatever I may be given then because I don't think depressions are only a brain-chemical issue...
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

Yes, depression *is* only a brain chemical issue, and we know this because when people take antidepressants medication all of the symptoms go away.

Nancy