Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
16724211

I have just read an article about stress leading to depression,

Customer Question

I have just read an article about stress leading to depression, that is if you have a too high level of serotonin in the front part of your brain. It comes with your genes. A study from a hospital doctor. I imagine that an antidepressiv medicin, that creates a higher level of serotonin is not the right cure for this kind of depression.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for writing.

Prolonged stress does lead to depression.

Depression results when the brain overuses the neurochemicals (mostly serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine). What happens is that when the brain overuses those neurochemicals, it signals the brain to create receptor sites for them -- but as it overuses them, more receptro are created- eventually creating a deficit.

The deficit leads to depressive symptoms and the longer depression is left untreated, the more symptoms appear and the worse each gets.

No two people are exactly the same, which is why different medication work for different people. Most people, respond well to SSRI's. SSRI stands for Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor - it inhibits the reuptake of the neurotransmitter at the receptor site.

Medication are prescribed based upon the symptoms the person has. If you have trouble with sleep -we know serotonin is involved. If you have exhaustion we know norepinephrine is involved... but it's a psychiatrists job to prescribe a medication based on a full medical history - not just one or two neurotranmitter issues...

Don't worry about the neurotranmitters -- just find a psychiatrist to prescribe a currently used, effective medication.

Nancy

Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience: ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The answer is not up to date with the actual knowlegde of depression disease.

A stupid answer for a sincere question.

Can you not do better than this?

Expert:  Nancy replied 5 years ago.

Perhaps I was too advanced for your knowldege, for that I apologize.

Nancy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You are too stupid and not qualified for this site.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry to have lost my patience, but thought I had found an explanation that could relate to me. It could be an argument for dropping Marplan with all it´s sidereactions. I enclose two articles related to stress and depression.

From MedScape Today: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/581740

Stress During Childhood Affects Psychopathology in Psychiatric Patients

Increased early life stress was confirmed for a larger sample of psychiatric inpatients treated for severe mental disorders. Present results support the hypotheses of stress-sensitive periods during development and show that a 'dose'-effect, a relationship between the amount of stressful experiences and severity of distress, is not restricted to traumatic experiences and to PTSD. Results also suggest that relationships between early life stress and psychopathology vary between disorders, which may result from an interaction of early life stress with other vulnerability factors.

Results support the hypothesis of stress-sensitive periods during development, which may interact with genetic and other vulnerability factors in their influence on the progress of psychiatric disorders. A 'dose' effect of stress load on the severity of psychopathology is not restricted to the relationship between traumata and PTSD.

From the Danish hospital:

Stress is in the genes
New research shows that the number of serotonin receptors in certain areas of the brain is genetically determined and it affect your ability to handle stress. Its the Neurobiological Clinic who are the first in the world to have found out via a twin study.

Imagine your life as a landscape where your path is substantially predetermined, because the mountains, rivers and roads are already present at birth. The landscape may change due to external influence, and you can even choose to ascend difficult mountains, but mostly you will follow the already made roads tells physician in the Neurological Clinic Lars Pinborg. A part of the landscape, as Lars Pinborg and the research group at the Neuro-Biological Research have found out, are outlined in advance, depends on how many receptors you have in the brain serotonin system. The system is one of the important signaling in the brain and include of receptors that receive signals from such body or other parts of the brain. Scientists know that the system has implications for psychiatry-made diseases as depression and schizophrenia, and drugs designed to treat these diseases, therefore, are directed to this signaling.

Personality Tests and scans
In a series of research focusing on patients with psychiatric and neurological suffering look, we have a total control of approx. 100 ra-persons to compare with patients, says Lars Pinborg. The control group were both scanned and personality testing to learn as much as possible about the personality and brain structure and function. Here, the researchers noted that the number of receptors among healthy varied considerably from person to person. The question, Lars Pinborg and co. asked was whether variation in the serotonin system could have an impact on personality? By comparing the scans and personality tests, they found out that people with many serotoninreceptoror in the front part of the brain, specifically the frontolimbiske areas have a reduced ability to handle stress. It is a characteristic that researchers know is linked to the development of depression later in life.

Inheritance or environment?
The next question is whether the number of receptors as a marker for the reduced ability to handle stress, altered in the course of their lives - perhaps because the 16-year losing a parent - or whether it is something you really in baggage through the genes. In short, due to the inheritance or environment? One way to investigate it is by twin studies, comparing identical twins who share the same genes, and twoegged twins, who have 50% of genes in common. If we could show that the oneegged twins were very similar compared to the twoegged twins, then we could conclude that genes are much more important than the environment, "says Lars Pinborg.

As the first in the world have research group with Lars Pinborg by a twin study demonstrated that the number of these serotonin receptors in the brain is largely genetically determined, because they could see that they are identical twins PET scans of serotonin receptors were much more similar than the tvwoeggeds. If we compare it with the number of receptors in a specific area in the brain which are important for a personality that we know predisposing to the development of stress and subsequent depression, it is reasonable to conclude that the personality is in the genes and the links via the serotonin system, "says Lars Pinborg.

Predict and influence
Prospects in the new field of research is to predict, but also to influence. We will of course like to be able to predict disease, but it is also interesting to know where in the brain and how disease occurs and try to affect the area and the relevant biochemical process, thus targeting therapy, said department physician. But if the aspects of personality and the risc to suffer from depression is no longer arbitrary, the question is surely how free we are as people? I think that it is how we at birth or very early in life has had our outroads. Our lives are not just ahead of us as a blank billboard, as is familiar from Aristotle, but the path of several that we choose is still up to us and therefore we are also responsible for our choices. But just as depression is concerned, it is good to ease the burden of responsibility from the patient's shoulders, close Lars Pinborg.

Lars is registred here with more articles: http://www.biomedexperts.com/Portal.aspx .