Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I worry about death, feel worthless and unwanted, have mood

Customer Question

I worry about death, feel worthless and unwanted, have mood swings, can not focus or concentrate! What is wrong with me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, your symptoms suggest that you are suffering from Major Depressive disorder (MDD) , ALSO called as clinical depression . It is characterstic of MDD , to have feelings of helplessness, worthlessness, feeling of impending doom , lack of interest in day to day acivities and inabiity to feel pleasure in previously pleasurable activities, decreased concentration.

But, do not worry as MDD is very much treatable , so i suggest you consult a Psychiatrist and discuss with him/ her the below mentioned treatment regime for depression, and get started on it.

1) 1 Anti depressant such as Effexor XR( venlafaxine extended release ) or Zoloft ( sertraline) or Lexapro (escitalopram )needs to be started , you may ask your doctor to choose any 1 out of the three and decide its dose and time of intake and get you sarted on it.

2)1 Anti anxiety drug such as Klonopin ( clonazepam) or Buspar( Buspirone) and 1 Mood stabilizer in LOW DOSE such as valproate or Divalproax need to be added to the anti depressant , as mentioned above. Your doctor shall decide the dose and time of intake of these drugs as well.

SO, i summarize that , there are 3 drugs you need to placed on -- 1 anti depressant drug, 1 anti anxiety , and 1 mood stabilizer.

ALSO , ASK YOUR Psychiatrist to start you on Psychotherapy , that is counseling in lay terms , and the best psychotherapy for depression is Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT).

sO, I suggest you discuss the above mentioned treatment regime with your psychiatrist and get started on the regime right away , and i am quite sure that your present symptoms will respond well to this proposed treatment .

I wish you rapid recovery to the best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service .

Regards...