Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
16724211

I have a 4 yr. old girl in my daycare, she has been removed

I have a 4 yr. old girl in my daycare, she has been removed from centers because of explosive, manic anger issues. She is usually quite bubbly, extremely happy and hyper. She talks constantly. But I have had 2 episodes with her that are quite alarming. In both incidents, she felt someone was tattling on her, or asking her to stop doing something she was doing and she starts to hit. Once I am there breaking up the incident she tries to hit, kick and bite me. I put her in a high chair to isolate her safely but she continues to throw her body around trying to attack me. She screams, growls, puts her fingers in her ears so she can't hear what you are saying. these episodes last about 30 45 minutes until you can talk her down and add distractions and then she snaps back to her usual hyper bubbly self. Then later, once situation is diffused you can talk to her and find out what happened, but she is very distractive when you talk to her, it is hard to keep her on topic. Any thoughts
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I want to help, but first, could you answer the following? Does she wet her bed? Does she have dark circles under her eyes? And finally, what is her home life like? Parents - married ro divorced recently? Siblings? Older/younger?

I can provide further information when I hear back from you :-)

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No I do not believe she is a bed wetter. Slight circles I guess. her parents are married. They seem very involved. The dad works alot. The mom is wonderful with her, she talks her down, but it is taking its toll. Of course noone knows what goes on behind closed doors. She has an older brother who is 7. she has a sister who died at 32 weeks, but I think she was older. She snaps and when the tantrum is over she goes back to being a hyper, happy appearing child. She does talk alot.
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the follow up information. What I'd suggest is that this child is evaluated by a child Psychiatrist (not a child psychologist or a pediatrician). This could very well be the beginning of a mood disorder (like Bipolar) or even ADHD.

The sooner the illness is treated, thebetter for this child. The longer it is allowed to continue, the harder it is to treat, and the worse for the child. Once she is effected socially, it makes it really hard for her to learn new coping skills and so on...

I hope this helps, but please feel free to write back with any follow up questions.

Nancy