Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years

I am a single man that is kinda having issues with making friends

I am a single man that is kinda having issues with making friends and long term relationships. I seem to end or not follow through the relationships after awhile. I spend a lot of time alone and I want to change that. But find its easier to just fall back on my old habits. I want help changing that. What should I do to get help to make changes in my life habits.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

Hi cmunoz,

I am glad you wrote.

If your issues are getting in the way of having meaningful relationships, I'd suggest you seek out GROUP counseling. Group is designed to deal with these exact issues - you work through daily life issues with other people going through the same exact things. It would take hours to explain exactly how it works, but it does... group changes people's lives in a painless way!

But... if you think you just don't know how to meet people then... check out eHarmony. It works well and many, many people find love through their site.

Join some kind of social group that interests you - you will meet people with similar interests (at least 1, anyway!). It can be anything from a local Gym, to a walking club, star-gazing group, book club, golf-club, planing flowers in the local parks, hiking, or hiking trail clean-up.

Take a class - something that women take: literature, jewelry making, gardening, and so on...

One way many people meet quality people is through volunteerism -- volunteer at the local hospital - or volunteer to to rock premature babies in the local children's hospital. Take up a (typically) women's cause - volunteer for breast-cancer or at the zoo.

I hope this helps, but please feel free to write back!