Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
16724211

I have a girlfriend who sometimes completely breaks down and

I have a girlfriend who sometimes completely breaks down and hits herself over small arguments/conflicts. Also, she has almost no sex drive. She otherwise is one of the happiest people I know. I was wondering if these are symptoms of something wrong with her. The rage/losing control has happened for over a year as has the low sex drive. The breakdowns occur seemingly randomly spread apart.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

Hi gfneedshelp,

I suspect she went on Yaz as a cure for PMDD, but if it didn't seem to help, then it's unlikely related to hormones.

She could one of two things - she could see a psychologist or counselor who could help her to figure out why she has these break downs, or see a psychiatrist who will prescribe medication to calm her down.

My suggestion is to start with the counselor- because it sounds like it's more of an emotional issue than a brain chemistry issue (which would require meds).

This is exactly the sort of thing counseling is designed to help with - we talk with epople and find out what triggers such dramatic behavior and proviode them with better coping skills instead of breaking down.

I hope this helps, but please feel free to write back with any follow up questions.

Nancy