Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I smoked marijuana for about six months last year and have

HOW CAN I CORRECT MY SHORT TERM MEMORY LOSS ? HELP!!!

I smoked marijuana for about six months last year to help me go through a very difficult time BUT I have stopped smoking for about 7 months now ;since october of 2008.

I still masturbate almost 3 times a week and this has been going on for a very long time.

How have my previous exposure to majuana and my current addiction to masturbation affected my short term memory and what can i do to correct this.

Im trying to go back to school and do things right. I need some help thanks .... Collins

Submitted: 5 years ago via HealthCare.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

I can see that you are eager to know the reason for your short term memory loss and how can you go back to your normal previous self.

First of all let me tell you that Masturbation is a very normal act , and is not at all associated with memory loss of any kind. So, relax and do not feel guilty about doing it , masturbation does not even remotely cause any memory loss.

However , since you have been addicted to Marijuana in the past and had been a chronic marijuana smoker , so it is possible that marijuana might have caused some neurological damage , as a result of which you have developed short term memory loss.Marijuana is known to cause neurological deficit / damage , anxiety , psychoses, depression , besides causing lung cancer , so in the interest of one's psychological and physical health it is advised to not consume marijuana in any form .

So, i suggest you get a CT SCAN BRAIN done , as it will reveal any neurological damage , which might have been caused due to prolonged marijuana abuse .

So, apart from getting a CT scan bain done, you may ask your doctor to start you on psychostimulants , that are Central nervous system stimulants , which are used commonly to improve memory , increased attention, concentration and alertness. Some good psychostimulants are -- Adderall XR , or ,Ritalin , or Modafinil (provigil). You may get started on any one of the mentioned stimulants , let your doctor decide which stimulant to choose for you out of the three , and also decide on the dose.

As far as fluoxetine is concerned , you may continue it for depression.

I wish you rapid recovery to the best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards...
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Doctor for your kind response. May be you are my God-sent Angel to rescure me from this dark cave that i fell in for some time now.

There is a time in my life when everything was clear, i was so in control of all my actions, i spoke only at the right time, never feard negatively , felt real calm and made real connections with people. I had people come to me for advice and people like how i made them feel. Learning was so easy for me. I was able to write songs, articles paintings, and poems.

I used to teach computer studies, and i would walk into the class with just a marker and i will deliver all the lectures for the day without looking into any book and i was known for my retaintive memory. My imaginations were very clear and vivid, but now i feel something is missing and i want to get bak to who i was if possible.

Here are some of my symptoms:

Social Anxiety

Anxiety with authority figures

Self Doubts

Temporary loss of identity

Unable to tell a complete story without losing track

Forgetfulness - keys, names, places, event, numbers, even my own facial ID

feeling volnerable

Los of clear imagination

Dificulty focusing on an issue or object for a long time ( like good 10 mins)

Difficulty retaining infomation read or heard

Problem in my range ( determing how close or far an object is or sound)

Unable to feel what others are going through

I sing but feel like im disconnected with my audience

Feelings dont feel deep enough and thinking is very shallow, this robs me of my negotiation positions at times.

What can you say about my symptoms.

Thanks for the nformation.

Well, from your symptoms , two possible causes of your present state can be made out,

1) Prolonged abuse of Marijuana leading to some Neurological deficit , that is effecting your Cognition (thought process) , which includes impairmrnt of memory , judgement , decreased attention and focus , inability to concentrate , speech that includes reading , writing and speaking being effected. In other, words due to marijuana abuse you have developed some organic brain pathology such as some neurological deficits / brain insults due to substance (marijuana) use.

So, to rule out this probable Diagnosis , you have to undergo CTscan brain , which will reveal the presence of brain pathology / deficit , which was inturn caused due to marijuana , and depending upon the CT SCAN report , the treatment needs to be started by consulting a neurologist and the treatment will entail CNS stimulants as mentioned above such as Adderall (amphetamines , amphetamine salts) , Ritalin , concerta ( methylphenidate ) , focalin ( dexmethylphenidate) , Provigil/ modafinil , etc.

2) Now the second probable cause of your present condition is psychological , and that is Depression with Generlized anxiety , you see, in both depression and excessive anxiety , scholastic performance as well as your confidence to do a task gets a beating so much so that you are not able to perform in any of your previously well performed tasks as efficiently as before , and you further loose your confidence in yourself , and your symptoms start getting worse ,in which your depression and anxiety start effecting your memory , attention span , focus and concentration as well.

For this , you need to consult a psychiatrist and get evaluated for the same.

So, i suggest you first get a CT scan brain done , if it reveals a suspected organic brain pathology then it means that your present condition has stemmed from brain damage caused due to marijuana abuse , and so you should consult a Neurologist , get evaluated and get started on his treatment which will comprise of cognitive enhancers/ stimulants .

But, if the Ct scan report comes out to be normal , then it means that neurological deficit is ruled out , and your problem is psychological , and this will require an evaluation by a psychiatrist ,and he will start you on anti depressants , and anti anxiety , and mood stablizers for treating depression and anxiety .

So, the very first step is to get a CT scan brain done and from there on you shall go ahead with one of the 2 probable diagnositic possiblities.

I wish you best of health. Take care . You may let me know of your reports .

I hope my answer serves your query acording to your satisfaction.

Regards...
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry