Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years

Attachment and Successful aging 1. What is Attachment (popular

Customer Question

Attachment and Successful aging

1.     What is Attachment? (popular definitions)

2.     What are the Major concepts of Ainsworth’s theory?

3.     How does attachment come about?

4.     How is Attachment experienced by the infant and caregiver?

5.     What happens between the infant and primary caregiver

6.      How does attachment affect the developing child, the adolescent, the young adult and the older adult?

7.      How is attachment related to or an influence on your second topic, which is successful aging? ( be sure to define according to popular theorist- and explain your understanding of successful aging)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 5 years ago.

Attachment and Successful aging

1. What is Attachment? (popular definitions)

According to Papali et al (2007) Attachment is the reciprocal, enduring emotional tie between an infant and a caregiver, each of whom contributes to the quality of the relationship. Attachment or bonding is the developing relationship established between a primary care giver, usually the mother, and her child. Attachment behaviors begin early in life. This age limit is often the critical period where this trusting relationship developed in infancy forms the foundation for a Childs development. The child who has had a secure attachment will grow up to view the world as a safe place. A healthy attachment is most important in human development can also be considered as an additional material that is added to an e-mail or letter. But in this arena of discussion we are talking about human attachment.

2. What are the Major concepts of Ainsworth's theory?

Attachment theory is the joint work of John Bowlby and Mary Ainsworth (Ainsworth and Bowlby, 1991). Mary Ainsworth who was a student of John Bowlby during the 1950's when she studied attachment in African babies in Uganda through naturalistic observations in their homes(Papali et al. 2007). Mary Ainsworth took Bowlby's theories to another level when she conducted her own study, the "strange situation." During this study, 12-month-old infants and their mothers were repeatedly brought into a room then gradually separated and reunited with the eventual introduction and interaction of a stranger. The experiment had eight stages starting with the infant being introduced to the room with the mother for the duration of the episode followed by seven more episodes that were increasingly stressful for the infant (by adding the presence and interaction of a stranger) until eventually, the infant was reunited with the mother. Ainsworth observed a wide range of attachment behaviors from the infants and grouped them into five classes:

3. How does attachment come about?

What you want to address here is that attachment foms by the primary caregiver caring for all of the infant's needs - making eye contact and making the child feel secure.

4. How is Attachment experienced by the infant and caregiver? Through needs being met; physical needs such as being dressed properly (not too hot, not too cold), diaper being changed, and through making eye contact.

5. What happens between the infant and primary caregiver
THe form an amotional bodn as they interact with one another - making eye contact, touching one another, and feeling close.

6. How does attachment affect the developing child, the adolescent, the young adult and the older adult?

Attachment in infancy created neural pathways in the brain that help a human be able to replicate that later in adolesence, forming first romantic relationships - young adulthood by being ableto marry and have children and as an older adult by loving their spouse, children and grandchildren. Attachment helps humans form emotional bonds throughout their life. Without attachment they have no tight bonds.

7. How is attachment related to or an influence on your second topic, which is successful aging? ( be sure to define according to popular theorist- and explain your understanding of successful aging).

Here -- you want to discuss the same things as in question #6 - but add more of the life cycle (when children are born, when they go to school, when they leave for college...)

Nancy