Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

My girlfriend wont go to bed at the normal time,she sits up

Customer Question

My girlfriend wont go to bed at the normal time,she sits up all night and sleeps all day. We had a chat about things since she is not happy with her situation of not being able to sleep at the normal times. It turns out she is afraid to go to bed because its an end to the day, she doesnt want the day to end. She has a sort of fear about things coming to an end, she feels sad when i finish my wine because its came to an end. She seems to have a total fear of things ending yet when things were rocky between us she had no problem with ending things there? Before I came along she would sleep all day and would be up all night, could it be that she resents me for picking up on her unusual behaviour so this is why she could end things with me easily? Maybe ive pulled her from her safe world? Anyway its the fear of things ending and the fear of night time sleeping thats the concern. Any ideas?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 years ago.
Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, i do not think she is suffering from any type of Phobia related to ending of things although it may seem to appear like that , as you see a phobia needs to be consistent , while in her case it is upto her own discretion , as you only mentioned that she is more than forthcoming to end the matter when things are shaky between the two of you , while at other times she claims to be fearing the end , this seems more like a cover up for her sleep disorder.

Yes, to me it seems like a Sleep disoder such as A disturbed Sleep - Wake Cycle , so i suggest you get her evaluated by a Clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist , who shall carry out a Polysomnogram ,that is Sleep study ,and the results of a sleep study would reveal the actual underlying cause for her sleep disorder and based on this result the medications will be started.

So, i suggest you consult a psychologist/ psychiatrist and get her evaluated for sleep disorder and get the Polysomnogram done.I am quite sure this will give a diagnosis to her problem and we will know which treatment she needs to be started upon.

I wish your girlfriend best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satified with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards...