Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I wake up early in the mornings with my mind racing and worrying

I wake up early in the mornings with my mind racing and worrying about everything from minor to larger, i feel like i have butterflies in my stomach many times throughout the day, and frankly, im feeling down about getting older and being on my own.   Should i be concerned, or just wait for this to pass.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Kindly answer a few questions , so that your clinical picture becomes clear to me.

1) Since how many days/ weeks / months , are you experiencing these thoughts such as mind racing, worrying thoughts , anxiousness?

2) Are thes thoughts present almost all day ( consistently throughout the day), or are they episodic , that is once a while, not consistent ?

3) are you on any medications ?

Kindly answer the queries against their numbers and i shall get back to you with an appropriate reply.

Regards...

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

As requested, I am replying under each querie. Thanks

**I would say its at least 4 months.

**Yes, they come and go every day. It feels like a battle. When they come I try to think pleasant things and keep my mind busy. That works for a little while...but then the thoughts come back. I feel very tired...and find myself just wishing time would go bye, but then I get anxious thoughts about getting older...back and forth, back and forth.

3) are you on any medications ?

** i take propercia (to prevent hair loss), and nexium for acid reflux. I tried st.johns wort for a week...i was concerned that a potential side effect was hair loss so i stopped.

Thanks for the reply . Well from the symptoms which you have mentioned, it seems that you are suffering from Generalized ansxiety ( GAD) , but nothing to worry ,as it is not a severe psychiatry condition , and is very much treatable.

So, i suggest you ask your family doctor to get you started on an Anti anxiety drug such as Klonopin ( clonazepam ) or Buspar ( buspirone) , any one of the two is to be chosen , and which ever drug out of the two mentioned here you get started on, you have to take it two times a day , that 1 in morning after breakfast and 1 in evening after dinner , so accordingly ask your doctor to select the right dosage.

You need to continue on the anti anxiety drug for 1-2 months , and i am sure you will get relieved at the end of the regime. Do not be apprehensive about the side effects of the drug , as both the drugs mentioned above are safest with least possible side effects .

I wish you all the best .

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi: Sorry for such a delay. My computer crashed. And I just got a new one.

I guess I'm trying to understand why you think its anxiety and not depression. (not that I mind)...just curious. If I go with your advice, do you think I will ever be able to stop these meds?

Thanks!

Hi there ,

Well the fact that you are a likely candidate for GAD ( generalized anxiety ) and not depression , is simply because you have typical features of anxiety disorder such as worrying thoughts , restlessness , racing of mind which is characteristic of anxiety disorder , fearfulness, autonomic symptoms such as tingling in stomach or some kind of discomfort in abdomen , etc .

I am mentioning below a link which will throw more light on GAD and its features.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalized_anxiety_disorder

So, i suggest that you start on the mdedication discussed above, and do not worry about addiction or whether you will be able to withdraw form these medications , as firstly i haVe mentioned a reasonable dose which is not high and which can be eAsily withdrawn , plus secondly both the options mentioned are least addictive , if addictive at all.

So, do not worry about the medications , and get started on it as mentioned above.

I hope this helps clearing your doubt .

Please press ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only the will i be credited for my service.

Regards..