Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

I am faced with the choice of applying for disability for a

I am faced with the choice of applying for disability for a mental illness I have been fighting most of my life--bi-polar depression and borderline personality---what are the criteria for social security
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.

The criteria for getting SSDI are complicated but given the diagnoses you have, I'm sure that you would qualify. You can get detailed information about this and about how to apply at:

Is your hesitance to apply for this based mostly on your love of your job or is there another reason? It doesn't sound as though your job loss is a certainty, but if it does happen, it is possible to accept money from SSDI and also continue to work a limited number of hours. Perhaps with your background you could serve as an advocate for women and/or children who have been abused when they go to court? Just a thought.