Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

my son is 24 years old intellegent but all he want to do is

Customer Question

my son is 24 years old intellegent but all he want to do is watch the news and sometime says hes getting energy from the news, he does not go out, no friends alwayd angry. we told him to leave the house he says he wont it his something is going on I want to put him on meds he wont go see a counselor tried talking to him he gets very angry and starts going off someone told me just leave alone
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

why was your son placed on abilify ? what was his diagnosis?

since how long is he behaving in such a manner , kindly specify?

Regards..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

in high school he was fine until he went to college that when everything happen he was put on abilify about 3 years ago he stop taking it. he was doing fine then suddenly he just went into himself smart 3.5 GPA I think he may be depress i dont now right now he stay in his rome wach news all day or if he has money he like going to the bar

<p>Kindly answer a few questions.</p><p> </p><p>1)does your son has many friends or is he a loner ?</p><p> </p><p>2)how is he in his job , does he take interest in his work , if at all he has a job?</p><p> </p><p>3)Has be become socially withdrawn , likes to be alone , shuns away any sort of interactions with others?</p><p> </p><p>4)did he suffer from any personal or professional set back in life , such as a break up with his girlfriend or poor performance at hiis work?</p><p> </p><p>5)does he lack interst in day to day activities , also does he lack enjoyment ?</p><p> </p><p>6)does he have suicidal ideas?</p><p> </p><p>7)does he hear non existent voices and mutters to self?</p><p> </p><p>kindly answer the queries against their numbers.</p><p> </p><p>Regards</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1. he use to have friends now he is loner, does not have a job,social withdrawn goes out sometime if we force him, he had a set back he was reall good in baseball, no interest in daily activity no suicidal ideas, I dont know about hearing voices but sometime he laught to himself like something is funny
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Im waiting on my replly
Thanks for the reply and my apologies for the delay in the reply , as i was on emergency duty .

Well, now , from the symptoms we have discussed , such as social withdrawl, resentful to ineraction, no interest in day to day activity , solitary confinement at will, lack of pleasure in previously peasurable activities , lacking energy , sluggish , and a strong predisposing life set back, I believe your son is suffering from Depression , as all the symptoms point towards it , also he was placed on abilify , which although is an antipsychotic , but is used in depression as well , but along with anti depressant , not alone.

Now, the solution to the problem here is that you should consult a psychiatrist , get him evaluated , and get him started on anti depressants such as Effexor XR , OR paxil , or celexa, or zoloft , any one of these mentioned and also abilify shall be started again , the doctor will decide the dose of these 2 drugs and their time of intake .

You see, this condition of his should not be taXXXXX XXXXXghtly as this will not go away on its own , your son needs professional help , in order to get his life back on track.

Also , i suggest if possible you may start him on counseling ( psychotherapy ) , which is offered by a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist , and the best psychotherapy for depression is Cogniive Behavioural therapy ( CBT) which is a short term therapy that occurs in sessions , so along with the drugs mentioned above if you can get him started on this counseling , it will be the best combination and the results will be there to see.

I wish your son best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button , if you are satisfied with the answer , as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does your clinical diagnoses also explain his perception of getting energy from the TV and laughing to himself or getting insight from the TV on occasions?
Well, i know what you are hinting at , well i did think of a probable psychotic diagnosis , but , the fact that in severe depression one may develop psychotic features , which is called as Depression with psychotic features in which a person may sudenly break into laughing spells or crying spells without any reason, also one may attribute getting energy from a different source or having other bizarre thoughts, but in order to have him considered as having frank psychosis ( which is seen in schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder or bipolar disorder), he needs to have consistent hallucinations ( but ,he does not hear non existent voices ) , delusions ( that is a false firm belief in something which is held on inadequate grounds , and cannot be shaken on the basis of any evidence or rationale given to the patient , he does not have this either) , lack of insight( that is awareness of oneself and his surroundings) , and impairment of reality testing . Well, he does not have these sympeoms , does he.

Also, you have mentioned , he is intelligent , although does not like to venture out , but when he is pushed by you people to go out , he does that in a very normal way as anyone of us would do it, he watches news , meaning that he is well aware of his surroundings , which rules out lack of insight and loss of reality testing, also the laughing which he sometimes exhibits is probably because of his thoughts provoking it , which are muddled in case of a depressive patient .

So, although , i cannot rule out onset of psychotic illness , as that would only be confirmed on the basis of Mental state examination that requires one on one meeting with a psychiatrist , but on the basis of history that you have presented , it seems that he is most likely suffering from Major Depressive disorder (MDD) , probably with psychotic features.

So, i suggest he needs to be physically examined by a psychiatrist , so that he diagnosis is confirmed and his treatment gets started .

I hope this helps clearing your doubts.</p><p> </p><p>Please press te ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer , as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards...
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, as i explained earlier , that his depression may be associated with psychotic features , which makes the probable diagnosis as Depression with psychotic features , and these laughing episodes or his claim of getting energy from TV , are considered as bizarre behaviour , but still do not qualify for frank psychosis , so in order to get to the bottom of these bizarre episodic behavioural pattern , he needs to undergo Mental status examination to be carried out by an experienced psychiatrist .

So, the episodic laughing and claims of getting energy from TV , may be attributed to the psychotic features which he has developed with an underlying diagnosis of major depression. One cannot predict how further his bizarre behaviour can unfold , if he continues to develop such awkward behaviour then he may get termed as in FRANK PSYCHOSIS , WHICH IS A HALLMARK FEATURE OF DISORDERS such as Schizophrenia , or schizoaffective disorder or bipolar disorder. But premptively we cannot diagnose him to be a frank psychotic , and from what all symptoms we have right now, point towards a Depressive diagnosis with psychotic features , whicH will go away as soon he is placed on anti depresants and anti psychotics and mood stabilizers .

So, kindly do the needful , and also kindly read my previous post to know more about frank psychotic symptoms.

I hope this helps .

I wish your son all the best . God bless him.

Regards..