Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I have been taking prestiq for over 2 months. I can not seem

Customer Question

I have been taking prestiq for over 2 months. I can not seem to get back to "normal" self. I have a very uneasy feeling that is just not right. For years I had taken effexor xd, but 6 months ago seemed to lose any effect and have been suffering with depression for too long. Do you have any suggestions for me or my Dr? Anything new I can try or any suggestions you may have to help me would be GREATLY appreciated.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.

It happens many a time that while patients are on Antidepressants that -

Many only have a partial response where some symptoms are improved but other persist
OR
Some patients have initial good response and then again relapse while continuing there treatment with a particular medicine.
OR
Patient may be totally non responding to any drug called as treatment resistant depression.

In such cases usual strategies are to - either increase the dose, or switching to some other drug or adding another drug to the current treatment.

Psychotherapy such as Cognitive Behavior therapy could be another option along with the treatment.

You should discuss with your treating doctor about all these alternatives explaining him that you are not finding this drug very useful for you and what else could be done.

I hope it helps.

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
WHAT ABOUT THE DRUG DILANTIN USE FOR DEPRESSION???
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.

This Drug DILANTIN(Phenytoin) is an antiepileptic drug (stop seizures). There are some reports of its being somewhat effective in depression, but this drug has got a lot of side effects as compared to antidepressants. For treatment in seizures,it requires a blood serum level monitoring.

It is not approved for the treatment of depression.

Side effects of DILANTIN