Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

what is the best way to get off of Cymbalta I am taking 60

what is the best way to get off of Cymbalta? I am taking 60 mg daily. Have been on it for 5 mo. and dont feel it is right for me. Have headaches, can't concentrate etc. I s worse than the depression! I am also taking Wellbutrin XL 300 mg for panic attacks
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hello Sherry,

Cymbalta (Duloxetine) has to be tapered to avoid the withdrawal effects. In most cases many patient tolerate 50 % dose reduction for 3 days, then another 50 % dose reduction for next 3 days, and then discontinuation. If withdrawal symptoms appears during discontinuation, the dose again needs to be raised till the symptoms are under control and then discontinuation is started much more slowly.

Please note that as you are already on 60 mg per day, so if you are planning to discontinue this drug, PLEASE do it only under your doctor supervision.
You should not attempt to stop any drug without your doctor advice,and if you don't have any one yet in your new place, you can wait for some time, till you have one.
It is possible that if you stop it, your symptoms may return and may be more severe this time.

I hope it helps,

Regards