Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

What can I expect to happen if I stop taking the antipsychotic

What can I expect to happen if I stop taking the antipsychotic medication quetiapine
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.

Hello lindielou,

Usually it is recommended to wait at least 4 - 6 weeks to determine efficacy of this drug. Now wait gain is also common with Quetiapine and so are the various side effects.
You have not mentioned the dose , normal dose range for quetiapine is 400 - 800 mg per day for Bipolar disorder and 150 -750 mg per day for Schizophrenia.

This drug should not be stopped abruptly, and slow down titration (over 6 to 8 week ) is required in most cases.If it is stopped abruptly, it may lead to rebound psychosis and worsening of symptoms.

Please consult the treating doctor of your son before taking any such step, as he will be the best guide in this matter