Dr. Harriet
Dr. Harriet, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Family Practitioner with 25 years of psychiatry medication management experience
16838010

for a physician please. I read about post ssri sexual dysfunction...to

Customer Question

for a physician please. I read about post ssri sexual dysfunction...to me that means that ssri's cause permanent damage to the brain...an article said that possibley the striatum or nucleus acubens where damaged from increased serotonin...if this can happen then what else can happen to the brain from long term use of zoloft too? that is why my memory is poor i am sure...i have been on zoloft 10 years...now there is evidence of permanent brain damage...this is not good i'm goign to stop immediatly.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Harriet replied 7 years ago.
No, SSRI's do NOT cause permanent brain damage. Years of outcomes research, meaning research on actual people treated for actual diseases, shows that SSRI's cause no harm, and in fact, help a great deal to decrease anxiety, treat depression, improve quality of life, and reduce mortality. Untreated depression is far more likely to cause permanent problems and even death than are SSRI's. The sexual side effects completely reverse when the medication is stopped, which again shows that the side effects are NOT PERMANENT. For most people with serious depression and anxiety, sexual side effects are a far less serious problem than the depression and anxiety. It appears to me that you are at great risk of letting your anxiety cause you to make bad decisions. Suddenly stopping your antidepressant without talking with your doctor would be a very bad decision. The death rate from Untreated depression is 10% due to suicide. Do you really want to take that chance?