Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years

I dont go out of my room when theres possibility of being

I don't go out of my room when there's possibility of being face to face with people (I stay all day long here). I have been trying to get help for the last 3 years but I just keep procrastinating. I made a short list of what makes me procrastinate:
- I am keeping a secret from my family that I am looking for psychiatric help, so I'm afraid of making the appointment phone call when they are around in fear that they might listen
- If an appointment is done, I find it hard to go out and having to tell them that I am going to see a psychiatrist (I usually wait until for some reason they are all out, but chances of an appointment falling under these circumstances are low)
- When I'm on the session (and face-to-face with any person), I cannot control my hyperventilation, this is the relationship breaker, looks like they just wana run away (including me)
I wanted help from a doctor to tackle procrastination itself prior to my real challenges, I was wondering your opinion on the points above
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

It sounds like you are having a difficult time. I am so sorry -- but the good news is that there is help.

What you'll need to do, is get to that doctor! I'd recommend a Psychiatrist -- as your type of issues are exactly what they are trained for! You need an evaluation and when you get that, the doctor may recommend some counsling or medications to make all of your uncomfortable feelings more manageable.

I know it's very, very difficult for you, but you need to go see them. You may want to ask a friend, pastor, or family member to bring you, to make sure you get there okay, and do know that your feelings of fear do not have to define you -- you can learn to accept them as just HUGE, overwhelming feelings-- but they don't have to stop you from doing what you need to do, like seeing a psychiatrist.

Nancy

Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience: ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years