Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years

I realize mediators in Nova Scotia, Canada, are not governed

I realize mediators in Nova Scotia, Canada, are not governed by the Board of Examiners for Psychologists, but who are they governed by? And how do I file a complaint? The mediator we have just seen has cause a big mess in our family's lives.

Mediators in Nova Scotia are required to have a degree in Social work, Psychology or a related field. They are governed by the licensing body of the degree they hold. So, if they have a PhD, they are a psychologist and are governed by the Board of Psychologist Examiners. If they have a social work degree or family therapy degree, they are governed by their respective licensing body.

If you have a business card of theirs, it should have their degree initials behind their name. If you don't, you can always look them up in the database of licenses.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank-you. Your answer is somewhat helpful, but I'm still not sure who to file a complaint to. If she has a Bachelor of Arts degree in sociology, for example, who do I contact? Does it depend on where she received her education?

You are welcome. If she has a BA in Sociology-- then she is not a real mediator. Canada requires mediators to have psychology, social work, marriage and family or counseling degrees.

It doesn't matter where she received her education -- jsut what degree she has.

What degree does she have -- I can give you contact details to file.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Her business card doesn't give any designations. Would you like her name and name of business? Would that help?
Yes, that would help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Her name isXXXXX and is the President & Senior Mediator at Mirkwood Mediation Services,XXXXX Truro, Nova Scotia B2N 3H9. Her website is (and honestly, I just got her business card from my daughter, and haven't checked her website - until now, I didn't know there was one).

Okay -- here's some information:

This is the html version of the file

Granted, this is for Winnipeg, but I think the same body governs her-- as she lists herself as a certified mediator. Check this out and if you can't file through them, let me know and I will see what else I can find. Also, if you can't file through FMM, ask them who you can file through -- they should definitely know.

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm assuming you couldn't find an organization like this for the province of Nova Scotia, so do you have contact info for the FMM?