Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years

for a dr. i just read on the internet that antidepressants

for a dr. i just read on the internet that antidepressants proven to cause long term brain damage...that is extremely distressing for me because i have been on them 10 years....if this is true i may one day feel suicidal and that scares me....i don't feel that now because i read this on the internet and things on the internet aren't always true.what is true? the fact that there is the phenomenon of post ssri sexual dysfunction proves that there is permanent damage brougth on by ssri's...damage to the striatum of the brain that deals with sexual pleasure...
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

There is no research to support the claim that antidepressants cause permanent brain damage. SSRIs, work to block a reuptake process. That's really all they do.

Antidepressants work on the neurotransmitters that are responsible for, symptoms such as sleep, appetite, mood regulation -- and it's not as though you are taking neurotransmitters -- you are taking a medication that block the reuptake of your own neurotransmitters.

Not everything you read on the internet is written by professionals; if you want research based, peer-reviewed journal information -- you have to read the journals, otherwise, I'd ingore most of what you read on the internet.