Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor
Experience:  Board certified in family medicine.

I am 32 years old and lost my husband in an accident one year

I am 32 years old and lost my husband in an accident one year ago. I have been taking welbutrin 300mg and lexapro 20mg. I am still having a hard time mentally and stay on the edge of tears. I am also having trouble staying motivated at work and can't concentrate on anything. Should I consider taking Adderall instead of my other meds. Not to mention the cost of two medications is expensive. I have a 4 year old daughter and want to be my best for her.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your question.

I have seen very good results with Adderall in some of my patients with severe depression. Adderall is particularly helpful if your energy level is very low. However, you are on high doses of Wellbutrin and lexapro. You should not abruptly stop these medications as doing so can cause very unpleasant withdrawal effects. Also Adderall is not an antidepressant, therefore you most likely still need either Wellbutrin or lexapro.

You can discuss with your psychiatrist regarding weaning one of the two antidepressants and adding Adderall. I usually start patients on 5mg.

I hope this is helpful.