Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
16724211

my ex breaks up with me every few months. he says that he gets

my ex breaks up with me every few months. he says that he gets severly depressed and that being in a relationship makes it worse. then he comes back when the depression is over. every time i take him back, no questions, and every time his depression is worse. my question is, is this possible, or am i just letting him do this to me because he knows i wont leave.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

I will start by saying that everyone is different, and nobody can really tell you what is going on with him, but him. But.... that being said, I don't think the two options you've listed are all this could be; I suspect that he grew up in either an abusive home or at the very least, a home where his needs weren't met. I say this because his behavior seems more like a way of managing intimacy.

It also seems like a poor way of managing depression -- it he perhaps bipolar? That would maybe make a bit more sense.

Is he on medication? If not, would he consider it? At the very least, he may need an evaluation to find out if this is bipolar -- it could be that his depressive lows are so low that he really cannot be with someone -- and can be with someone when he is either "normal" or manic.

What do you think?

Nancy

Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience: ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thank you.

sorry to bother you again may i just ask should i stay and be there for him, or if he is depressed should i leave him alone to work it out himself?

Expert:  Nancy replied 5 years ago.

You are welcome. I would think that if he was doing something proactive to make it better in the long run-- like getting on medication, or going for therapy/counseling, then you can feel safe in knowing that he (and the relationship) will get better -- and these breakups will eventually stop.

But if he just plans on doing nothing-- and nothing will change, you have to decide if you want to be in a relationship where he keeps breaking up with you.

Nancy