Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

is there a medicine for depression that makes you lose wei

Customer Question

is there a medicine for depression that makes you lose weight?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.

It is difficult to comment on the availability of antidepressants which cause weight lose,but there are antidepressants with which weight gain is unusual or can say that they are weight neutral.

For example Bupropion (generic name) is one such antidepressant which is considered to be weight neutral.

Fluoxetine (generic name) belong to SSRI class of drug, just like Zoloft, and it may cause decrease appetite in patients as a side effect. With it also weight gain is unusual, and in fact may cause possible weight loss, especially short term.

I hope it helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this answer did not answer my question, in full, therefore i decline to pay for the answer.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hi dw,

In general, drugs which cause weight loss are different (not in antidepressants category) and to the best of my knowledge, there is no such Antidepressant, which one can claim that it will also help you to loose your weight.

There are other antidepressants such as Tianeptine, Reboxetine (both generic name) and with them also weight gain is unusual but again it is not guaranteed that there will be no weight gain.

If this is not what you expected, you need not to pay for the answer.