Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Can a psychiatric patient take Prozac, Wellbutrin and Lithium

Can a psychiatric patient take Prozac, Wellbutrin and Lithium together without side-effects?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer !

Can you please tell me what is the diagnosis of your grandaughter , for which she has been admitted in IPD (inpatient group home) and started on these three drugs ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has displayed traits of borderline personality but her therapist won't label her with this diagnosis. She also has narcissistic symptoms but is extremely bright and causes much dismay to the houseparents as she questions all they demand of her. Her father just died last Nov. unexpectedly from possible drug interactions and now she is also grieving and feels alone. She has a recovering aloholic mother but Kelsey is in state custody and we feel our hands are tied in getting her out of there. She fainted last week and had a huge bump on her forehead after a dispute with the houseparent. Kelsey feels the workers are being unjust to her and after a year of this group home, she is about ready to give up. She has been through several programs already and the judge is threatening to send her out of state if she's not improved by June. No lithium levels have been ordered and her Ibuprofen is still being offered to her but Kelsey refuses it in fear of interaction with her Lithium. Please let me know if what they have prescribed is safe. She had been on Abilify with no results with her Prozac, but now, after a year, they are trying Litium. Please help.
Hi there,

Thanks for tthe additional information.

Well, Lithium should not be used along with prozac , as well as Ibuprofen , as these 2 drugs react badly with Lithium and cause harm to the patient's health. I AM MENTIONING BELOW THE link , which will throw more light on the harmful drug interactions between lithium and prozac / ibuprofen. Prozac causes increased lithium levels in the system , leading to Lithium Toxicity , so if at all ,there is need to use these two together , serum lithium levels are to be regularly monitored.

So , i suggest you contact the IPD authorities and let them know of these harmful drug interactions , you may discuss about the drug interaction with the psychiatrist who has prescribed these drugs to your grandaughter.

Prozac and wellbutrin have got no adverse drug interaction and they can be safely used together.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer , as only then i will be credited for my service.