Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

What psychoactive drugs available and safe to treat the symptoms

Customer Question

What psychoactive drugs available and safe to treat the symptoms of anxiety and pruritis associated with cirrhosis of the liver?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.

Medications to treat anxiety generally fall into two classes: SSRIs which are longer-acting medications that one takes daily (including drugs like Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, etc.) and benzodiazepines which are shorter-acting medications that one takes only as needed (including drugs like Xanax and Ativan).

While these medications are the ones most commonly prescribed for anxiety, they would not address the pruritis that you are experiencing. For more information about this and ways to treat other symptoms associated with your cirrhosis, I would suggest consulting your GP rather than a mental health professional.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This was not helpful and did not tell me anything I did not already know. Actually this question should have been routed to an M.D.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hi hanna,

Hydroxyzine (Atarax) is a drug which belongs to Antihistaminic class of drugs. It is approved by FDA for anxiety and tension associated with psychoneurosis as well as pruritus which may be histamine mediated, or allergic. It is also indicated for anxiety withdrawal symptoms in alcoholics. Also in cases of liver problem it is useful as usually dosage adjustment may not be necessary in patients.

Please see these links below for more information.

Hydroxyzine indications

I hope it helps.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hello Hanna,

Would you like to ask anything more regarding your question?