Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
16724211

6 years ago I left my husband. Right after I left I had a

Customer Question

6 years ago I left my husband. Right after I left I had a manic episode and lost custody. I was diagnosed bipolar. I have never had a problem since. I was removed from all medications and am discribed as in full remission. I lost custody of my daughter because of the one manic episode. I rebuilt my life I have a wonderful new husband and more children, but I still grieve for my daughter from my first marriage. I have visitation, but every now and then I get a stray hope of having her back. I quickly realize that will not happen. Even after these years, my ex-husband treats me like I will damage my daughter by my presence. He recently said that my expanded six weeks in the summer will harm my daughter emotionally. He is the only one that still holds to me as ill. Can I do anything to ease this? It is so painful to deal with. I am a wonderful mother. He keeps telling me he is protecting his daughter and I don't know how to tell him to stop this.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

I know you think this is about him... but consider this: Guilt is when we do something that we are not proud of. Shame is when we do something we are not proud of and someone else saw it or knows about it.

Granted he says horrible thing to you... but I suspect that if YOU really got okay with all that happened, his comments and his attitude would have a lot less effect on you -- he's pushing buttons in you that already exist.

Deal with your guilt and shame and you'll find the courage to do what is right by all of you. Confront (in you) what happened and you'll be in a more powerful position, emotionally.

Nancy

Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience: ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I recognize that you are right and I am going to have to take some time and figure out how to address this fully.
Expert:  Nancy replied 5 years ago.

Keep me in mind if you ever want to chat!

I wish you the best of luck... best wishes, Nancy